Will DADs play in Toshiba 4700 DVD-A player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alan_Horner, Nov 2, 2001.

1. Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner Stunt Coordinator

I did a search on this but only came up with a few non-specific threads, so I thought I'd pose my question here directly.
    I'm thrilled (yup, that's the word for it) with the sound of DVD-A discs on my new 4700. The clarity on the DVD-A of Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" was so amazing that I nearly plotzed! So I was naturally thrilled when I came across an online retailer who had another old favorite of mine, "I Robot" from The Alan Parsons Project, in stock.
    Trouble is, I don't know for sure if DAD discs will play properly in DVD-A players like my 4700. I'm not too concerned if the stereo channels are delivered via the digital stream only (the manual says the digital stream can carry 24/96 audio -- it's only on the higher-end offerings that I'll need to change the signal output, if they're ever offered). I'm also not worried about the "lack" of 6-channel mixes, since they kind of pale in comparison to the 2-channel mixes (at least on the discs that I've purchased so far).
    Does anyone out there have the Classic DAD of "I Robot"? I'd appreciate knowing if it will work in a DVD-A player. My hands are positively twitching to hit that "send" button for my online order! [​IMG]

2. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

DADs are a form of DVD-Video discs, only they contain 24/96 PCM and no DD or DTS, and generally very little in the way of video or images. I'm almost certain all modern players will play these since PCM is part of the DVD spec. Early players, like my Sony DVP-S3000 downconverted before processing it. Also, many players will downconvert the digital signal to 16/48, however if you let the internal DACs do the work it will likely be played correctly.
    Considering you have a DVD-Audio player, its got DACs that should be more than capable of handling this. If your receiver can handle 24/96 then you'll be able to tell if the DVD player passes that out pretty quickly.
    I just reread your post and see that the digital stream can carry 24/96. As far as I know the only reason to do that is to handle DADs.
    I have Sara K's Hobo DAD. It works in my Sony and my Malata. Next week I'll be receiving the Panasonic RA60 and will test that. But I'd say there's a 99.9% likelihood that you can play DAD in yours.

3. Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner Stunt Coordinator

Yeeeee-hah!
    Thanks SO much for the quick response, Keith. I upgraded my receiver in anticipation of getting the DVD-Audio/Video player, so everything's a "go."
    The "whooshing" sound you're hearing is me heading off to order that "I Robot" disc....
    [​IMG]

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

That "I Robot" disc sounds incredible.... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    AIM: PhilBiker