What's new

Will current HDTV sets be obsolete? (1 Viewer)

KevinCK

Auditioning
I'm writing this post from a very basic understanding and
memory of previous posts so bear with me. I'm wondering about North America here. Specifically Canada.

There was a lot of talk about how people with HDTV sets right now will be screwed over in the future because the DVI standard is going to change. Something to do with a copy protection system by the broadcasters. This would mean any set bought today will be incompatible with broadcasts in a few years?

Is this still true? Or have sets with the new DVI hardware
started coming out yet? Or will a set bought today still be able to work perfectly in the future?

Kevin

Peter Hunt

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Kevin,
Volume 11, number 6, issue 61 of Widescren Review has an article called "New DVI HDMI Interface: Will Full-Redolution Analog Outputs Co-Exist?" which you might want to check out. I think it's in their current issue. In the end I don't think anyone knows yet.
"...the concern persists that studio content providers will turn on copy protection that forces HiDef source players to downconvert the analog output to 480i/480p when DVI/HDCO or DVI/HDCP/HDMI is incoportaed in future units. There has not been a direct-to-point statement issued by any studio content provider, assuring that this will not be the case when any form of digital connectivity is implemented"
This is the big question isn't it. I'm ready to purchase a set myself and upon doing my research have come across this potential problem. I don't know :frowning:
Peter

Butch C

Second Unit
There is no electronics problem that $100 and a trip to the Koreans in Manhattan cannot solve.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks