What's new

Will copy protected CD's actually encourage bootlegging? (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
George, I explained SACD, DVD-A, and DTS Muzak Discs to a pair of Busted Buy employees tuesday, this week. It was a mission of mercy, I suppose...

Widespread copy-protection (read: user unfriendly) audio discs will create a market nitche for real bootleggers who'll be offering REAL CD's. It sounds like a dumb strategy, which is percisely why the majors will/are (?) try it in earnest. They'll ask Congress for Audio Police to pat down teenagers and other unsavory types (read: HT-forum members).;)

michael_mo

Stunt Coordinator
I dont know if the copy-protection will lead to more bootlegging....
But every new cd or dvd I've had to OPEN over the last decade has me pulling my hair out and swearing that I will NEVER buy another NEW sc/dvd. They seal them like they are the ark of the freakin covanent. After about 5 minutes of fighting it with bare hands I usually throw it.. which then cracks the cheap case's plastic. Then I cuss all the way to a desk to find a pair of scissors.... Then, after attacking it like a surgical intern on their first case, I proudly bust it open. At this point, I am so proud of myself for finally "winning"... that I end up vocally taunting this inanimate object like a NFL split end who just beat a cornerback on a long route.

After this episode, I again swear to never buy a NEW cd/dvd again, and stick with USED cd/dvd's that have already been opened.

This, not copy-protection, leads me to the used market, or downloading... sad as it sounds

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Michael, you could use a Diamond Deb nail file. It's the greatest thang for opening CD's and most especially DVD's. You can get one at Sally Beauty Supplies or a similar venue. The all metal file is pointed on one end to clean under your nails. That pointed end is so-oooo good for lifting up the stickers so you can pull them off. It's good for splitting the seams of the shrink wrap that covers the whole bleeding package too. BTW, it's great for cleaning your nails too!

I buy the majority of my CD's used because they sell used for about the price I think they're really worth....$4-$8...

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
TEXT REMOVED BY ADMIN. DO NOT REPOST.

So did I break the DMCA by making a copy of a copy protected disk? I bet the RIAA thinks so.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Because they ARE NOT CDs. They are something totally different.

Exactly right. I don't buy those releases.

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
Jack -

Okies sorry about that but I don't see how it was any different than John's post about the line in/line out statement otherwise I would not have posted it.

I now crawl back into my corner.

Laters,
Jeff

gregD

Second Unit
So is there any way to track and identify these 'protected' non-CDs?

How widespread are they at this time?

Any watchdogs or websites with any info (i.e., titles or labels to avoid)?

I can't wait for the day when all the execs, middlemen, handlers and managers that siphon off the lion's share of music industry revenue are out on their asses... it's coming.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Greg, you forgot the "promoters" who rightfully should be called bribe-collectors/selectors/rejectors.:D

I aggree that "everything must change" and that we consumers need to help. It's amazing how big an issue the big five and their finger puppet, the R.I.A.A., have become in the past two weeks. Editorials, letters, or articles about the R.I.A.A. have been in the USA Today pre-kitty-litter edition nearly daily. The R.I.A.A.'s actions have raised some hackles that normally wouldn't pay any attention to that silly little record industry.

The muzak industry hopes they have a smashing 4th quarter. I hope they don't. A friend bought by the new Dido album and if that monotone sleep enhancer is supposed to help the 4th quarter, IMO, their hopes are gonna' fade.......:thumbsdown: Ooouh, ooouh, ooouh, maybe Justin will make a Christmas album??? :D

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
They can't legally display the "compact disc logo".
i'd be interested to see if they do use the logo, honestly, i wouldnt be surprised if the logo was used. in the eyes of the public, if it behaves like a cd, it is a cd, even though it isnt. sadly, the redbook vs non redbook argument would not work at a cc or bby, it is likely nobody would know what you were talking about.

CJ

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
CJ, there's always the BBB & FTC complaint route. I filed a complaint against Radio Shack that helped lead to a hefty fine... they were systematically shorting customers on open reel tape.

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
So far all the copy protected import CD's that I have purchased have NOT displayed the Compact Disc Logo.

Jeff

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
"So far all the copy protected import CD's that I have purchased have NOT displayed the Compact Disc Logo."

I figured as much. This was brought to the studios attention a year or 2 ago. It is completely fraudulant to sell something, i.e. a car, and then say "Oh by the way....you can't drive it on the road."

I guess the record companies are learning something these days. I could care less personally. If the copy protected CD does not play in ALL of my players and it cannot be copied, the piece of shit is going back :D .

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I suggest you boycot each and every release of these "so called CDs". Why you ask? Because in order for a CD player to work with CDs you need a set of predermined guidelines so that you have compatibilty. That is what we call Redbook and that is why Redbook even exists. Without this we will soon have a sea of "does this disc work with this player" threads.
Exactly. This is why the DVD+R's aren't allowed to use the official DVD logo. If they are going to market non-Redbook's as CD's, then they're in for a whole heap of trouble.

I'm not going to even chance buying one of these CD's (or whatever they're called since they aren't CD's).

This technology came up last year and the maker of the CD (Phillips) had some nasty words to say about them trying to pass them off as "CD's"

PhilBoy

Second Unit
Good thread...

Nothing is as good as the original...

Paintings. Cars. Music. Artists.

It would be wrong for me to 'photocopy' the Mona Lisa and e-mail it to you. But, why would anyone want to do that. It would LOOK like crap.

I wouldn't think that a low bitrate mp3 rip of a song is a major score ! Unless played on $5 headphones or pc speakers, they SOUND like crap.

File swapping is wrong. But do the music folks realize the potential market that will be created when the 'file swappers' get their first jobs, buy a descent sound system, and try playing their downloaded tunes on higher resolution equipment ?

Imagine the music SALES when these 'kids' realize how bad mp3 sounds and want to purchase the original.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I just read that the MediaMax CD3 protection by Suncomm such as on the recently released Anthony Hamilton CD can be circumvented by holding down the shift key when you put the disc in your CD-ROM drive, so that Windows won't automatically launch the software that will screw up your computer's ability to play the disc.

ROFLMAO

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...rotection_dc_6

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
LOL, Wayne!!!!:) I'm not suprised it's that easy. You have to figur that about all they can really add to CD's are entry codes and such...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks