Will copy protected CD's actually encourage bootlegging?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Rachael B, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    ...my gut feeling is yes. I think they'll further polarize opposition against the R.I.A.A. Of course, the encryption will be fairly easy to break. Once broken, the code breaker might make and sell open copies? Myself, I expect file sharing will heat back up soon with the use of some soon to be invented stealthware. In any case, copy protection will egg on the traders I believe. As long as analog outputs exist, copy protection is TOTALLY laughable anyway.

If the Musezak Kompanies really want to move product, maybe they should sell CD's that also include a video game or two...?[​IMG]

2. Michael St. Clair

I'd be shocked if copy protected discs didn't result in increased bootlegging/piracy.

3. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Considering the only way for most people to get MP3s of protected discs would be to go onto some sharing service, I tend to agree. People tend not to like to pay for the same thing twice.

Jason

4. George See

George See Second Unit

The few copy protected discs i've gotten stuck with don't play in my car CD player, so after purchasing the CD i'm forced to download it if I want to listen to it in the car. Technically not piracy since I bought the CD but still seems kind of ironic that the copy protection is forcing me to download.

5. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

6. George See

George See Second Unit

7. Peter_A

Peter_A Second Unit

I had no trouble at all getting around the copy protection on my latest CD purchase I made a copy for my car and ripped it to MP3 to listen to on my computer. The original sits on the shelf now collecting dust. All done with the CD burner in my PC and the appropriate software.

8. George See

George See Second Unit

9. Peter_A

Peter_A Second Unit

Actually it would play in all my CD players, car stereo, etc but I refuse to load their player software onto my PC so I made the copy and then used Winamp to play it.

10. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Technically speaking you can just return these "so-called" CDs to the place of purchase. Why? Because they ARE NOT CDs. They are something totally different.

"Seriously the record companys needed to put a little more thought into it before they started to make non Redbook compatable cds."

When you buy a car it meets certain requirements to be "street legal". The record companies are producing non redbook discs. Which technically means non-cd. A disc NEEDS to meet redbook comlpiance to even be labeled a CD. Now if the record company releases a shiny disc that does not have the "CD" symbol on it and they make mention of the copy protection on the disc then it is completely legal. Misleading of course but completely legal.

I suggest you boycot each and every release of these "so called CDs". Why you ask? Because in order for a CD player to work with CDs you need a set of predermined guidelines so that you have compatibilty. That is what we call Redbook and that is why Redbook even exists. Without this we will soon have a sea of "does this disc work with this player" threads. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

My 2 cents

11. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    The discussion so far tends to suggest my point is valid. Furthermore, if the majors persist in these shennaigans bootleg software could become the preferred software.

12. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

The couple of copy-protected CDs I've bought so far (unknowingly) I've converted by capturing digitally through the sound card, then encoding as normal.

13. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

14. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

If the disc wouldn't play in any of my player I would just return it to the store for refund,which is just as bad for the labels,since it aquired "No sale" from me.
    I have no intention to download anything from the net,and never had.

15. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Many stores would offer same title exchange only on an opened CD. You might have a fight on your hands if you expect an actual refund.

16. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

"Many stores would offer same title exchange only on an opened CD. You might have a fight on your hands if you expect an actual refund."

This is ONLY if the disc says that it is a copy protected disc and that it "will not play on some players". Otherwise it is fraudulant to say that a CD is a CD if it is not redbook compliant. That is like selling a vehicle and saying it is street legal when it is not, i.e. modifying an exhaust, etc. But yes, I would not doubt that a Walmart or BB employee would give you some grief, at which point you would need to escalate it to someone who is in the know. Either way the labels are venturing into very very dangerous territory.

17. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

18. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Do you think it's possible to say the words "redbook compliant" to ANYONE working customer service in a Wal-Mart or BB and not have them look at you like you have three heads? They'll probably think you're referring to the women's magazine.

19. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    LOL, Malcolm![​IMG]

20. George See

George See Second Unit