Will "Contact" ever be remastered?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by LanceJ, Oct 18, 2004.

1. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I did three different searches for this but couldn't find anything

I'm not sure if "remastered" is the correct word for redoing a movie so it looks better but after reading several comments on this film's image quality (at imdb.com for example) I keep holding off on buying it. This film is a big favorite of mine as far as its story is concerned, but I also enjoy its beautiful images and special effects too (I've owned it on VHS for five years now). I was reading the paper box [​IMG] this dvd is sold in and the copyright for all the materials/photography of that box is 1997. That's also when the movie debuted. Didn't the dvd format itself also debut in 1997? If so, I'm not surprised at those comments I read.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

2. CarlosL

CarlosL Stunt Coordinator

Carlos
    I never bought the current release cause I'm waiting for a special edition. And when it comes out, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

3. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

The transfer for Contact is actually quite good, and was considered to be top notch for the first couple years of the DVD format and IMO it still holds up well today. I highly recommend picking it up. Isn't it a bargain title now?

One of my first DVD purchases and still one of my favorites.

4. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Being an admirer of Sagan, I have always meant to pick this up (it can be found for $10) but I have always had the feeling that Warner would remaster it like they have with many of their original 1997 DVD titles, ie. Dirty Harry, The Outlaw Josey Wales One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Amadeus, The Right Stuff, etc.

Do the extras have any material on Sagan himself, or are they devoted to the film's production?

I am reading The Demon-Haunted World at the moment. It's absolutely superb. Why is it OOP? With so much pseudo-science floating around at present, this book it a mighty antidote.

5. Jason Kirkpatri

Jason Kirkpatri Second Unit

Contact was the first DVD I ever bought. The image quality is not on the same level as the recent releases, but that's to be expected. Good enough for my repeat viewings, though!

I know that I'm glad I bought the disc (and yes, it is dirt cheap now around here). I can't imagine waiting six plus years for a newer version...

Jason

6. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    The first dual-layered DVD was T2. Warner's first dual-layer title was Contact in December of 1997.

The 1997 edition of Contact is a special edition, containing:

[*]A pristine 2.35x1 widescreen transfer that is enhanced for 16x9 televisions.[*]English Dolby Digital 5.1 and French Dolby Surround soundtracks[*]Subtitles in English, French, and Spanish[*]Production notes and cast biographies (standard Warner-style fare)[*]Two theatrical trailers, both in DD 5.1[*]Three full-length--separate--commentary tracks
    [*]Actress Jodie Foster[*]Director Robert Zemeckis and Producer Steve Starkey[*]Visual Effects Supervisors Ken Ralston and Stephen Rosenbaum[/list][*]Four segments on special effects from Sony Pictures Imageworks, totaling 41 minutes in length
    [*]A 20-minute segment on the opening sequence[*]The Machine[*]The Harrier landing[*]A high-speed compositing reel (featuring several different scenes)[/list][*]Three segments of computer-animated concepts
    [*]The Machine[*]Hadden's Plane[*]The NASA Control room[/list][/list]
    - Steve

7. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Yup, a pretty loaded disc, so I'm not sure what more you'd want for another SE.

8. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Yeah, how much more special could one make this disc? It's still pretty impressive sonically too. When DVD started this was held out as an example of how marvelous the format could be, and there's really not a crying need to have it redone. Other than the early-pressing "rot" woes that some have suffered, I've never heard any complaints about this DVD.

9. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Yes - a definite buy. Also one of the last serious SF movies which gives equal time to science and religion - radical groups excepted.

This is an excellent movie and the sonics during the beginning pull away shot and the wormhole journey are impressive.

10. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Its well worth a $10 bill. The destruction of the first machine will have you ducking for cover.

PQ and SQ are quite good really.

BGL

11. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

The worm hole sequence rocks in this movie. Great movie, great dvd as well. I remember the commentary from Jodie was very interesting too.

Ahh, 1997. The good ole days, when Special Editions were "special."

Peace,

DM

12. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

As others have said, this disc is well worth the $10 it costs. If a better SE were to come out someday, I doubt it will be anytime soon. If you're a fan of this movie, there is no reason not to get the current DVD.

13. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    I have it. It's probably the most watched DVD in my collection. Get it. Now.

14. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

The current DVD does hold up well and is worth the invesment. Warner was releasing some nice discs even then. Another example "L.A. Confidential".

15. Andy Kim

Andy Kim Second Unit

Just watched it last week on my 50" and it looked top notch to me. Its got quite a number of extras also so I would pick it up.

16. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

The current edition is great, especially considering it was an early DVD release. It might be nice if they revisited it with a two-disc SE. However, I for one am very pleased with the quality of the video and audio on this one. With repeated viewings it has now become one of my all-time favorite films.

You can say that again. It's a serious wall-shaker. [​IMG]

17. Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong Supporting Actor

This was one of the first DVD's that I have seen that bested LD on PQ. This was back when most DVD's were using old masters. I actually bought a DVD player in 1996 (bought it in Japan)and was really disappointed by DVD for PQ. That was all untill Contact came out... I waited a bit for better DVD releases and finally began buying more DVD's in 2000.

18. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Note to Warner:

The original DVD was lovely. It was the first DVD special edition, and for that it holds a place in the DVD history books. Anyone who picks up this DVD today should be well-pleased.

Still, I would *love* a tricked out 2-disc special edition with a new transfer.

I understand that there are still some supplements that were left on the table when the DVD was originally conceived as a flipper (with more total disc space). Perhaps that could be restored.

- Steve

19. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Wow, I guess I should have asked about this here first, instead of reading imdb.com!

I'll be picking it up then. [​IMG]

And I have to agree with Lou--I don't think I've seen any other similar movies with serious intentions since this one came out. Bummer.

This is kind of off-topic but since it looks like there are other Sagan fans here, I was wondering if anyone here owns the Cosmos series on dvd and if so, what was your overall opinion of the package? That series was so awesome, and has some great scenery and astronomical images to watch while contemplating The Big Questions About The Universe. [​IMG]