What's new

Will CLEOPATRA be the best looking film in 4K ? (1 Viewer)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Have we had any large format epic films released on UHD yet? I can't think of any, I mean there's quite a few still awaiting a standard Blu-ray release (& I'd include El Cid & Fall Of The Roman Empire, as their Blu-rays leave a lot to be desired - mastered from a low-con print I believe). A couple of obvious choices:

Lawrence of Arabia
Ben-Hur
Mutiny On The Bounty
Cleopatra
Grand Prix.

I hope Sony work their magic on Barabbas & Lord Jim this year. A standard Blu-ray will do for me.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Have we had any large format epic films released on UHD yet? I can't think of any,.
Not counting modern 70mm films like Dunkirk, there’s only been one on 4K disc: 2001 A Space Odyssey. However, there are 4K streaming versions of Lawrence of Arabia, West Side Story, and The Black Cauldron.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
With Disney heavily investing in it's streaming services, Disney + and Hulu, I would expect any Ultra High Definition classic films to be released on these platforms rather than media.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
This is from an interview in todays New York Time with Scorcese
"Scorsese told me that he had reached out to Iger several months earlier, on behalf of his nonprofit Film Foundation, which is seeking to restore and preserve movies in the 20th Century Fox library that Disney now owns. “Then all this came up,” Scorsese said with a chuckle. “So, we’ll have a lot to talk about.” (A Disney spokeswoman said the company was trying to set up the meeting between Scorsese and Iger.)"

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
This is from an interview in todays New York Time with Scorcese
"Scorsese told me that he had reached out to Iger several months earlier, on behalf of his nonprofit Film Foundation, which is seeking to restore and preserve movies in the 20th Century Fox library that Disney now owns. “Then all this came up,” Scorsese said with a chuckle. “So, we’ll have a lot to talk about.” (A Disney spokeswoman said the company was trying to set up the meeting between Scorsese and Iger.)"

Very interesting.... Very interesting... :)

I hope something good happens from this.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
I'd rather see them preserve the B-roll outtakes and Mamoulian footage only briefly glimpsed in the documentary before they spend time on a 4K scane.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Is there any updated news regarding The Alamo?
is it still rotting away?
how long ago was its condition checked? what was its state then?
thank you

Still rotting away. All communication points to the fact that MGM will not permit it to be saved, and apparently has no desire to do so themselves. Afaik, they do not restore films.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Still rotting away. All communication points to the fact that MGM will not permit it to be saved, and apparently has no desire to do so themselves. Afaik, they do not restore films.

Thank for the update, even if the news is disappointing. I was going to "like" your message, but I did not want to give the impression that I like the fact that MGM will not permit The Alamo to be saved, and apparently has no desire to do so themselves. For that reason, I would select "DISLIKE" with thumbs down if that were an option.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
With all of the talk of a potential purchase of the library by Apple, hopefully they've done due diligence, as getting that library up and running, in any high quality, and after a proper inventory, could easily hit half a billion dollars.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Two things:

$500 million is pocket change to Apple.

and

If Apple buys it, for the most part, it’s not for the library itself. It’s for the intellectual property the library contains. There’s probably far more profit potential in turning a familiar movie into a modern TV show, or remaking a couple old favorites, than there would be in simply digitizing the library for digital downloads or streaming subscription. They wouldn’t buy it so that they could say “The MGM library is now on Apple+.”

They’d buy it because one Bond movie can gross a billion dollars.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean

Thank you for the update, Mr. Harris. Such a sad situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks