What's new

Will CLEOPATRA be the best looking film in 4K ? (1 Viewer)

JimMiller

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim Miller
I imagine it would look very, very good. The King And I might look excellent if color-corrected. Patton and Lawrence might look spectacular.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What ever it looks like is going to be entirely dependent on the quality of work done on the master for creating the disc. If the work is done properly then it will look great. If not it will look terrible, regardless of the resolution of the disc.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Having seen all of the titles mentioned in their original large format version I would say that there are a number of movies that have the potential to look as good or a bit better but Cleopatra is definitely up there and with regard to pure production value it sits right at the top with Fall of the Roman Empire being the film that maybe comes closest with regard to that.

Off the top or my head I have been very impressed with these feature films in no particular order:

The Agony and the Ecstasy
Patton
Fall of the Roman Empire
Cheyenne Autumn
Ryan's Daughter
Sheherazade
The Last Valley

Many otheres also looked very good but these were really impressive.

Among the musicals Kino of Kings will probably not look as good as some may hope for as Cinemascope 55 wasn't that great after all - there was a reason that Fox switched to Todd-AO.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Who ever thought Cleopatra would be a Disney princess? Or is that a Disney queen? ;)

Cleopatra
on 4K Blu-ray is one of my most wished for titles, and I think it has the potential to look absolutely incredible.

While most of us were thrilled with the quality of the Blu-ray, I believe it was derived from a 2005 scan and the video was given a score of 4/5 by Mr. Harris here and here. I think a considerable jump in quality could be achieved with a 4K release.

tenor.gif

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Disney spending money on a 4K uhd disk? Don’t think so but I’d love to be wrong.

Agree if done right Cleopatra would look amazing

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Does this mean Twilight Time or KL can't release any more Fox movies ? Because Disney owns all the Fox film catalog now ??

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Considering there’s 4K transfers for Butch Cassidy and Fight Club that are sitting on the shelf and Disney has no plans what so ever to release them, I wouldn’t hold my breath for Cleopatra on 4K UHD.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Will Disney even care about the Fox Classic Film Library? I fear not.
They care enough to stop major movie chains from having special screenings of the catalog. Alamo Drafthouse in Tempe AZ was going to have a special screening of Fight Club and Disney made them cancel it, likewise, the Harkins chain in Arizona has not had any Fox films lately for their Tuesday Night Classics series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks