Will Chariots of Fire OAR ever come?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rbirk, Apr 29, 2002.

1. rbirk

rbirk Stunt Coordinator

I really really want Chariots of Fire on DVD and have not seen the movie for several years now. I can however not bring myself to watch it in Pan and Scan, as that seems to be the only available option today. Any news?

[and when Paramount releases Once Upon a Time in the West I would be even more happy...]

Ron Birk

2. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

You could always import it from Japan...region 2 disc though.

3. MickB

MickB Agent

I am waiting for a annamorphic OAR release with a 5.1 soundtrack.

4. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

I'm in the same boat. After hearing rumors of a pending SE release, I'm really wondering if this title is going to materialize this year. I've delayed purchasing the R2 release in hopes that an annoucement would be forthcoming.
    I'm fairly certain ( given the R2 disc and the letterboxed TCM presentation I've witnessed ) that the film will receive a 16x9 enhanced letterbox transfer. Perhaps it is just me, but I tend to doubt that 5.1 will be offered as an audio option on the "fabled" SE release.
    ( I guess I need to get off my butt and order the R2 copy, so that Warner Bros. can announce a release date the next day. Never seems to fail. [​IMG] )
    - Walter.

5. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

This movie won four Academy Awards. I dont think an OAR presentation on DVD is asking too much. Come on Warner!

Peace,

DM

6. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

if it's oar is 1.66:1 then Warner won't 16x9 enhance it. Hopefully it's 1.85 or at least Warner will frame it at 1.78 and give it to us 16x9. Why can't they windowbox like everybody else????

-dave

7. rbirk

rbirk Stunt Coordinator

According to IMDB.com the original aspect ratio is 1.85:1.

Ron Birk

8. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

When I viewed the TCM presentation last year, that presentation had an A.R. that was obviously > 1.66:1. It looked to be 1.85:1 or possibly greater, compared to several DVDs viewed on the same display.
    While I agree with the sentiment that Warner Bros. should provide windowboxed 16x9 enhancement for 1.66 presentations; I have ever reason to believe that Chariots of Fire will receive 16x9 enhancement at either 1.78:1 or 1.85:1.
    The current DVD ( and the old Laser Disc ) presentation represents an opening of the mattes, combined with a zoom that crops the sides of the image; completely destroying the compositional aspects of the cinematography. Watching the letterboxed presentation on TCM was a revelation after having endured the bastardized versions for years on end.
    ( Chariots of Fire is one of the few films that I've been willing to tolerate in MAR'd format, simply because of my love of the film. Realistically, I should have already availed myself of the R2 version of this wonderful film. )
    - Walter.

9. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

This title and south park are 2 reasons to get a R-free PAL-> NTSC converter player if you live in the US!

10. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    I'm guessing that R1 will soon get a SE like we're going to get with Amadeus (another 80's best picture winner) I have the dvd and it's still very good and an awesome film. Deserves the red carpet from Warner with an isolated music track!