Will cell phones eventually make land lines....

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by todd s, Mar 18, 2005.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I was driving home and saw a phone company crew repairing a land line. Just wondering will the proliferation of cell phones. I am just wondering how long it will be(or ever) we see the end of conventional land line phone service?

2. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Three reasons why it won't happen anytime soon: D, S, & L [​IMG]

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Probably someday, although not soon. For instance, I live in a basement apartment that often seems to function as an underground Faraday cage (which is too bad, because not being able to use it at home has kept me from having a mobile for a long time). Until there's technology that allows me to get good reception anywhere, the land line is still useful. There are also going to be isolated/spread-out communities where the population density doesn't make coverage cost-efficient.

Also, I imagine you'll always be able to send more data through a land-line than a wireless network, or at least will for a long time. If you're using fiber optics/copper for internet access/cable TV anyway, you may as well use it for voice communications.

And, you know, I think it will take a while for people to get it through their heads that location-based communications devices - such as the phone at a business's front desk - can functionally be mobile phones, even if they still look like the type normally connected to a landline.

It'll make things a lot tougher for movie villains, though. No more dramatically cutting or ripping phone lines out.

4. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Yeah, but then you're hurting your own ability to communicate. And hitting a button on a black box doesn't quite say "I mean business" like ripping a cord out of the wall.

6. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

It won't happen in the US, although other countries might go the route of wireless only. In the US with cable and other services being too bulky for wireless transmission they will depend on land lines for those services. As long as those services exist there will be people trying to package things together for improved consumer satisfaction.

If I had to bet, I would assume that in less than a decade you will have competition that involves multiple companies offering cable, high speed internet, hard line phone service, and mobile cell phone service. They will offer consumer packages where you can add any and all of these services.

With that type of arrangement I don't see the land line going anywhere in the US until some very high bandwidth wireless services are available.

Kenneth

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    A few months ago a Cellphone provider up here in canada had a plan that included unlimited local calling, aimed specifically at replacing land-line phones. however they just stopped the plan recently, and do not provide the service anymore.

8. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I don't forsee landlines going away ever. The infrastructure of a Landline system is so much better than that of a mobile network that it would just be stupid to ditch the landline system in favor of mobile telephones only. Not to mention that the landline is to farly entrenched in America, it's put in every building and home and has had years to develop it's technology and make it's phones reliable.

For example, how many dropped calls and "no signal" screens do you get on your landline telephone? and how many times has your cellphone died on you or broken? unless you have really poor phone service through your local phone company or just have a habit of getting bad landline telephones you probably don't. OTOH the cellphone, while being a great and cool way to communicate is rife with dropped calls and areas where you can't get service. Not to mention a high defect rate among the various phone brands and models. Until the cellular technology can provide the coverage and clarity of a landline and cellphone makers are able to create a phone as durable as the landline telephones in use I don't see it taking over.

FWIW, I use T-Mobile for my cellular service. I've been happy with them but like most celluar providers I find the service in general to be quite shaky, with areas where I either get lots of coverage or areas where I may not get as much. My phone has also been an off and on problem with dying screens and poor battery life. For these reasons, I would never find myself replacing my entire standard phoneline with a cellular only set-up. I feel as though that between possible network issues and phone issues that a standard landline is just much more reliable.

9. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Neither do I. Especially if the government plans on getting into providing free/low cost high speed internet for all like has been talked about.

10. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

If they do go away I'm out of a job.

11. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Doesn't some of the wireless network use the wired infrastructure?

12. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

I have no land line. My internet connection gets beamed to an antenna from a tower several miles away.

13. Stan

Stan Producer

Just started a new job doing customer service for a wireless provider, still in training so I'm hardly an expert, but there are many limitations and problems with wireless.

Network congestion, weather, the way a building was constructed (as someone mentioned earlier, lots of problems in basements), even the leaves on trees coming out in spring can affect your coverage. Dropped calls and "no service areas" are a fact of life with cell phones and I don't see them going away. They'll get better, but there will always be problems.

In rural areas with few customers, there's no return on investment so they're not going to put up cell sites that only support a few hundred people.

Your good old fashioned wireline could be 50 years old and still work fine. Cell technology is constantly advancing so already analog phone technology is being dropped, TDMA and CDMA phones are beginning to fade away as GSM phones take over worldwide. Providers are beginning to implement 3rd generation technology. (Japan and many other countries are already there, as usual the US lags behind)

Your grandmother with her 30 year old phone isn't going to want to change, she isn't going to want to purchase a new cell phone every few years.

You've also got to consider the FCC is involved in all of this, assigning frequencies to providers, defining geographic areas where wireless companies are allowed to provide service, etc. Government can move very slowly.

Wireless is certainly going to continue to expand and improve, but I think it will be many, many years if ever, before land lines go away.

14. MarkHastings

It's also like thinking that the Postal Service will go away because of email. It just won't happen any time soon.

15. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Mark Hastings, about e-mail displacing snail mail.

Very apt comment.

We seem to build on sand with most of our new technology.

16. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

Yes, a lot it does. The primary purpose of a cell tower is to take a subscriber's call and introduce it to the phone network.

Last year when we got hit by Hurricane Isabel, a lot of cell phone service was disrupted due to the power outages. The only ones with reliable phone service were those with land lines, and most importantly, old fashioned hard wired phones.

17. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

With nationwide coverage and unlimited weekend minutes, many of my friends only use their cell phone for long distance calling. I am doing that now to call my father and am saving some money in the process. My daughter gave up her landline a few months ago. They don't have internet connection, but could get a connection through their cable system if they wanted it.

18. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

If you have service issues with your cell phone, how would one contact the service provider without a landline?

19. MarkHastings

The other pro with a land line is the security of being able to reach me. I had wierd problems with my cell phone turning itself off at night. I always plug the phone into the charger at night and the cell phone tech. said you shouldn't leave the phone on while in the charger.

The fact that I'd have no way for people to contact me at night, is a big reason why I need my land line.

20. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

I will give up my landline when voice quality on a mobile is equal to that of a wired connection.

So many people I know have given up their landlines, and half the time I don't even want to talk to them because I can't understand what they're saying or vice versa. "What? WHAT? You're breaking up." I hate that.