Will carpet spikes hurt my carpet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Campbell, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Brian Campbell

Brian Campbell Stunt Coordinator

I just ordered an AudioSource SW-15 (front-firing) sub as part of my first HT system. I am having brand new berber carpet and a carpet pad installed on top of the concrete slab in my basement. The carpet is not especially thick.

Do I want to put spikes on this sub? Or just put it on the rubber feet it came with? Or directly flat on the carpet?

Would spikes damage my carpet or carpet pad, or concrete? I also read somewhere else that spikes on concrete can cause some chattering sounds.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

Speaker spikes are very finely pointed and the holes left by them are unoticeable though they are sharp enough to pierce through the pad to the concrete. As to the chattering I really couldn't tell you. Hope this helps!

3. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

I read somewhere that spikes were preferable to the rectangular depression you'll get from leaving aheavy subwoofer on a carpet for any length of time. I'm using spikes under my speaker stands and (just recently) my subwoofer. They seem to cut right through the carpet fibres, and don't really cause any visible 'damage'. Of course, YMMV... I guess a lot depends on the carpet.

4. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

You have to lift your speakers when moving them around otherwise the spikes could catch and tear the carpet backing enough to loosen some fibers. That should be about the extent of any 'damage'.

5. Norm Strong

Norm Strong Stunt Coordinator

They're certainly no worse than walking around the living room in golf shoes. :)

6. Brian Campbell

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Has anyone experienced this "chattering" when putting spikes on a speaker over a concrete slab?

Did any of you notice an audible improvement after adding spikes?

7. Todd_Michael_R

Todd_Michael_R Stunt Coordinator

Hi Brian,
    I remember reading a thread a while back about subs chattering w/spikes on concrete floors. Try searching for spikes, sub, and/or chatter to see if you can find the same threads.
    My guess would be that those who experience chatter from their subs own ones with a relatively higher center of gravity -- like long thing tube subs (e.g. HSU TN series, maybe?). Not only that but IIRC, they were placing their subs and speakers directly on concrete. But my memory is hazy on this so take this with a heaping of salt.
    I think either way you do it would be fine, really. It would seem to me that putting spikes on your sub would be a good way to prevent that depression in the new carpet you're installing, as Saurav suggested. As far as your sub's sonics and performance, you know I can't say [​IMG] I guess you would have to try them all out and let us know what works best for you. [​IMG]
    Regards,
    Todd

8. Joe Casey

Joe Casey Stunt Coordinator

I've got a sub on spikes on carpet on a concrete slab in one of my systems. I definitely prefer it to no spikes; bass is better defined and not 'mushy'. Don't know about the chatter tho.

9. Brian Campbell

Really? What kind of sub are you running? So can you run it pretty loud without any problems?

Also, did you put spikes on your front speakers?

10. Joe Casey

Joe Casey Stunt Coordinator

Vandersteen 2Wq. No spikes on the speakers (Magnepan 3.6). This is a 2-channel system, and I've measured 112db peaks with no noise issues (I've got 2 kids under the age of 4, and my listening times are usually after 8pm).

11. Pete H

Pete H Stunt Coordinator

Without making a blanket statement, I would find it difficult to believe that most speakers would not improve with spikes. It wouldn't be the first dollar I spent to improve my system but it sure wouldn't be the last either. The biggest problem I have had using spikes is positioning the speaker. (The before and after spike position was not the same.) This may not be a significant problem for a sub.