What's new

Will Blu-ray player prices stagnate or go higher? (1 Viewer)

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
I never said Microsoft was better so yall can quit kicking that point around.

The only Sony product I never had problems with were the PS1 and PS2.

I had a decent priced(for me) Sony tv burn up 4 days out of warranty and they could care less.

Also I would guess the previous posters never paid to beta test Star Wars Galaxies for them either

JackKay

Second Unit
Now that I'm forced to go Blu all I see out there is higher priced players with an unfinished Profile. And how long has it been in the market? Not very encouraging.

I don't really want to buy a gaming machine, but it looks like thats the cheapest way to the highest Profile player.

Its the Trojan Horse in reverse. Sony got Blu-ray players into homes through the PS3, now its getting more PS3s into homes because we must go Blu.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I suspect that blu-ray player prices will start to creep up over $500 at least until Korean or Chinese manufactures enter the market.

Doug

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
That's why several new players were announced below $400 at CES ;)

Both Phillips and Samsung announced one. The Dual format player is $599.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
If there aren't going to be Blu players under $100, then HD DVD isn't going to be the only dead format. BR will have to bring both player and software prices in order to make it long term, just like DVD did. It may not happen overnight, but the prices will come down or something else will supercede both of these HD formats.

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
I fear for HDM as a whole and I believe that HD optical media will go the way of its older brother...the laserdisc format and appeal only to video/audio enthusiasts that are willing to pay a premium for its HQ.
Ironically, I believe it will be the HD-DVR now offered by competing cable and satellite services that will be its biggest competitor among HDTV users. With a large internal hard drive and the ability to add an 750GB external hard drive, you can build up quite a library of HD titles. Last week I added "The Sound of Music" to my stored HD library. Magnificent.
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
I'm going nuts with this HD recording machine.:)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I did too....until I ran out of room. Even with my 160GB HD, I can have maybe 3-4 HD movies and 1-2 HD sports programs at any one time. And if the SO wants to record any of her shows, like Desperate Housewives or Grey's Anatomy, say goodbye to that HD space.

HDM may eventually go by the wayside, but it won't be because of DVRs until they are in the terabyte range or higher.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Interesting point about HD-DVRs. But as w/ most things trying to market to average consumers, I'd think the need for a terabyte external HDD could well be too much to ask. :D And for hardcore a/v-philes, it seems like the a/v quality of HD broadcasts aren't that great compared to HDM. And there's also gonna be the issue of films being MAR, especially as HD broadcasts grow in popularity, no?

Anyway, I agree w/ others that there's no solid reason to think player prices will go up unless the format does go very niche like LD did. It may not come down as quickly as everyone likes, but it most probably will over time. IIRC, pricing on SD DVD players didn't really come down quite that fast either afterall...

_Man_

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I never understood people saying that prices were going back up. Prices will continue to fall due to the price of components dropping as well as competition from all of the Blu-ray manufacturers.

I remember paying $500 for my first DVD player back when VHS was king. VCR's were under $100 at the time and it didn't hurt DVD.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

It's Sony. They have a history of keeping prices relatively high, betting that consumers will partake anyway either because they fill a niche nobody else does, or because they offer something above and beyond with the others do. In the case of Blu-Ray, it isn't just that the technology is more expensive to produce, it's also that Sony charges licensing fees. If Sony wanted Blu-Ray to be as cheap as HD DVD, it would be. I don't see any proof anywhere, but I completely understand folks who are concerned what Sony will do with Blu-Ray once the competition dies.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd

I still don't see this happening as:

1) There are more members of the BDA than just Sony, all whom have an interest in the long-term viability of Blu-ray.

2) Blu-ray still needs to win the battle against standard DVD. The only way to do that is to continue to lower prices.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Exactly. Sony is not a monopoly on Blu-Ray. If anything, Toshiba was nearly a monopoly on HD-DVD. Just about no one else was making HDD players.

Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Pioneer and now other players like Denon and Marantz and, the death knell for high-priced gear Funai are getting into the BD player market.

Sony can't control them all. Especially with Funai going in there, expect prices to drop. An announcement at CES also indicated plans for Sony to introduce BD drives for PCs at around $200 (I assume playback only, not a BD writer).

I can't remember in the history of electronic devices, when more than one company is involved, prices going up rather than down over time.

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
Ouch!!! Only 160GBs...I feel your pain.:frowning: :frowning: The older ViP 622 HD-DVR has 250GB (30 hrs of HD) and the newer 722 has 500GBs internal storage!!! To this storage via USB you can add up to an additional 750GBs using an external hard drive. The HD-DVR devices are "free" with a 18 month subscription.

Until Blu-ray offers movies that I would buy, basically the older catalog titles like Titanic, Forrest Gump, The Sound of Music, West Side Story, Lord of the Rings, etc., I can enjoy them in HD using this service.

I just cringe at the low volume of Blu-ray discs sold for Close Encounters of a Third Kind and if the powers that be use this as a yardstick, they will be releasing more special effects crap like Transformers and less catalog titles like Amadeus.

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
Just wanted to bump this thread up because of how much the prices of Blu-Ray players have dropped in 2 months

+1

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Uh, they haven't--entry level players are the same $399ish they were prior to the death of HD DVD. Shortly after 1/4/08 there were a few deals where free BD players were included with certain HDTVs, but other than that prices are pretty stagnant.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
I concur.

For Blu-ray to truly thrive, IMHO, then two things must come to
pass as aforementioned:

1) Lowered hardware and software prices.

2) A greater variety of titles from ALL the studios invovled in BD.

As it stands, there are currently more movies on my HD DVD to get list (many of which can now be had for cheaper, post haste!) than my BD to get list--and that is counting future BD releases as well!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks