Will Best Buy match an online sale?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Wilmes, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Patrick Wilmes

Patrick Wilmes Stunt Coordinator

I saw in a HT mag(can't remember which one)that ONECALL.com had the Toshiba 40H80 for $1599 plus delivery(which they didn't state)and I was wondering if BB could do that meet any price plus 10% of the difference thing on online ads.If anyone who works there knows plese let me know.Thanks.

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Try it and see. Worst case scenerio is they don't. Also try Sears.

3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
  4. Jon Shea

Jon Shea Auditioning

Sears around here (MA/NY) will match any online price.

5. Dan Da Silva

Dan Da Silva Stunt Coordinator

Funny you ask this question I just got back from best buy about 10 minutes ago and tried to get them to match a price I got on the net for the Panny PT-47WX49 tv and the salesman told me they won't match internet prices only prices from competitors within a 25 mile radius. Sears DOES match though
    ------------------

6. Christopher Chung

Christopher Chung Stunt Coordinator

Yes, Sears here in CA matches on-line prices as well!

7. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

I work p/t at BB and just to reiterate, we won't match internet prices. Sometimes we will work w/ the price on digitals but that is a very low price for the 40h80. The $1599 price is just slightly above what I could get the TV as an employee. Best bet is Sears or another electronics retailer.

8. Jake T

Jake T Stunt Coordinator

NO

9. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

Buy the one from Onecall. They deserve our support as they have great customer service and have been pretty active on forums such as this and The Home Theater Spot specifically.
    Brian
    ------------------
    Zed's Dead Baby...

10. Robin Wingo

Robin Wingo Extra

Best Buy does not price match from internet sites but sears will as long it's within your state.
    ------------------

11. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

Okay...
    All of the posts here about Sears are in error. While you may have a contradicting unique experience, here are their exact policies, copied directly from their site:
    If you find a lower price on an identical branded item currently available for sale at another local retail store, Sears will match that price. Just tell your sales associate at the time of, or within 30 days after, your purchase.
    If you find a lower price (including shipping, handling and delivery) on an identical branded item currently available for sale and delivery in your area from an established online retailer, Sears will match that total price at the time of, or within 30 days after, your purchase.
    Just print the ordering page, including shipping, handling and delivery, and bring it to your Sears store at the time of, or within 30 days after, your purchase. If you are purchasing online, email the information to [email protected]
    Established Online Retailers:
    Amazon.com
    BestBuy.com
    Bluelight.com
    Crutchfield.com
    CircuitCity.com
    Homedepot.com
    Lowes.com
    Ourhouse.com
    JCPenney.com
    Radioshack.com
    Target.com
    ToysRUs.com
    Walmart.com
    800.com
    Regarding Best Buy. According to literature presented to me by their managers on more than one occassion, they will match a local competitors advertised price. You must bring in the current advertisement clearly indicating the exact same item.
    ------------------
    My DVD Library
    Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.
    [Edited last by Scott H on August 15, 2001 at 01:50 AM]

12. Michael P

Michael P Agent

Sears matched prices for me last winter on my mitsubishi tv. However, that was in store, if you are quoting from their web site/internet sales department, they seem to have different policies then there BM stores do. Regardless, it doesn't hurt to ask a salesman, and if he won't do it, ask to talk to a manager.

13. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

working in the buis(at a B&M )I had a friend show me a price on a mits 55inch plat.plus that I couldn't even get close to...so, I thought that it might be worth taking a chance...I told him that I wanted to be there when they delivered it. when the delivery company dropped it of(4 days later than origenally promised)they wouldn't even bring the truck down the driveway(they said it was too much trouble)so they left it at the curb for us to carry @130' to the house,down the stairs,etc..I wanted to be there to checkfor any signs of trouble.It was packed up perfectly,(tape/packing straps /etc)and when after more than alittle effort we finally got it into place,it worked fine(I had to do A LOT of reconverging though). About 2-3 months later though the red gun went up,after attempts to get the company he bought from to get a tech out in a reasonable amount of time had failed, I scheduled one of our service techs to go out(4 days as apposed to 3 weeks!)he found that the serial # had been slightly altered(not a good sign).So, needless to say mits wouldn't pay for the parts or labor.
    I got him a small break on the labor ,but despite this the repair was expensive and efforts to get the company he purchased from to foot the bill have been ,largely,ignored(because ,they say, he didn't wait for the technitians they contract with to do the job)Now, because the savings originally were so great he has almost broken even(minus aggravation and still not having what one might call a warranty).I would tell you that the 40h81(new model is available at some retailers for $1899 ,find out how much shipping will cost you add that to the price of last years model ,factor in delays aggravation and leave a slush fund for "out-of-pocket" repair costs and see wher you end up.
    Remember, though I may work in retail, I don't work anywhere near you, so this has no impact on me,also my friends have from time-to-time bought on-line with a little advice from me ....

14. Jon Shea

Jon Shea Auditioning

It depends on the Sears. I have three stores around me, and one of them aderes to their internet price matching policy (only from certain dealers, etc). The other two don't have a problem. I don't have a problem keeping the wool pulled over their eyes. [​IMG]

15. Jeff_N

Jeff_N Agent

Here's my experience with price-matching. I hope you are as lucky:
    I had heard through this board that Sears price matched, so I went there to ask about it. The salesman gave me his card and indicated that I needed a printout of a web page. I printed out a web site that had the Sony 61HS10 for sale at around $2649. I decided to stop by Best Buy to see if they could do anything on the price (12 months no interest at BB). I didn't want to bring in the web page printout, so I just wrote the numbers on the back of the Sear's salesman's business card. When I went in, I asked about the price of the 61HS10. I pulled out the card just to tel them the price that he needed to beat. He asked to see the card, turned it over, and then went to talk to his manager. I got the TV there for $2500. I told him that was not a firm price from Sears, but he indicated that it was okay because I could have gotten it from Sears for that, eventually. He also indicated that the HD TVs have a very high markup on them, and that they are willing to deal on them because it is newer technology. I have a buddy at Circuit City, and he indicated that the price from Best Buy was less than Circuit City's cost. (I was going to buy from Circuit City if he could match.)
    Now, this was back in January 2001. Best Buy delivered the TV on the day they promised, but said they could not move it into the basement because it was very cold. Five Best Buy employees came back 2 days later (including my salesman) and moved it into my basement for me.
    As with any store that can deal. Get a relationship going with one salesman, and always ask for him, even at Best Buy. This will help get you the best price, plus he will always know how much money you spend with them.
    Now, if they will only carry a decent PS DVD-Player or the Sony SAT-HD100, I would be happy!
    Sorry this was so long, but if you can get a price-match at Sears, Best Buy will probably be able to work off of that price. You might not get the +10%, but they should be able to beat it. There's a reason that internet auctions work, it's because people are always willing to deal as long as they know what they have to beat, and that they are making money on it.

16. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

quote: Jon Shea wrote:
    ...if you are quoting from their web site/internet sales department, they seem to have different policies then there BM stores do.[/quote]
    Note that the policy statement posted on their website, and presented here, applies to their B&M stores. As indicated in the policy cited above.
    Also note that their policies have changed recently.
    ------------------
    My DVD Library
    Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.
    [Edited last by Scott H on August 15, 2001 at 04:35 PM]