What's new

Will be upgrading to separate amp. Will I need to replace speakers? (1 Viewer)

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
Let me start by saying that my dual 25-31cs package with amp is setting in Denver right now and it won't be delivered to my house for another 4 days. UGH!!
Now the topic.
I have an Outlaw 1050 with Klipsch KM-4 mains, KM-c center and KM-2 surrounds. I love the sound of these speakers and don't really want to lose them. I purchased them new on Okinawa for an unbelievable price.
The upgrade bug is biting and I would like to purchase the Outlaw 750 amp. From reading all the reviews about this amp it looks like quite the Bang for the Buck. SVS and Outlaw; great companies, great customer service, great prices.
I fear though that my speakers won't be able to handle the 165w RMS. The KM-4's are rated at 65w RMS, KM-c is 75w RMS and the KM-2's are 50w RMS. At times I will listen at near reference levels. They handle the 1050 just fine and sound wonderful.
I tend to listen to music and movies at much louder levels than the rest of my family. I want to feel safe in knowing that if I decide to crank it up it won't smoke check my speakers. And I don't turn it up enough to clip or distort. I like it loud, not distorted.
So...will I be looking at a possible upgrade of speakers?
HT...It is soooooooo addicting! :D

DanaA

Screenwriter
I'm not the expert here, so anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, but, by adding the extra power, you might in fact be keeping your Klipsch speakers safe, especially if you, like you say, drive the speakers hard. The reasoning here is that an underpowered amp is most likely to clip at heavy load. The more power you have, the safer you are in this regard. I don't understand the watts listings on speakers by manufacturers and I don't really see any consistent standard in their ratings. I just don't understand them. My question is, with the efficiency of Klipsch speakers and your current receivers power, why do you want to upgrade? I do think you are building an envious system though...what with the Outlaw amp and SVS subs. You got my envy!!!:D

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
DanaA,
I like to look at it (the purchasing of the amp) as an investment in the future. :) Actually I plan on going with more up-to-date Klipsch speakers in a year or two. I am building the system now so that when we complete the basement I can move everything down into the family/HT room.
Upgrade might go like this:
1) SVS 25-31 package
2) upgrade to Panny RP91 if any still avail
3) Outlaw 750 amp
4) upgrade to 16:9 HDTV or maybe projector (still debating)
5) upgrade speakers to Klipsch RF-7, RC-7, RS-7.
I've always had components that nearly matched the wattage of the speakers. I've never had an amp that was double the power in either home or car use.
Anybody running a lot more power than their speakers require?

DanaA

Screenwriter
You're getting me all too envious now. By the way, I have ordered the Klipsch RB5's and the Klipsch RC-3. I have been over to Good Guys for hours and hours this week listening to the RB5's and they sound sooooooooo good. I for one find them not to be harsh at all. I brought in several ears younger than mine and all agreed - these are spectacular speakers. A great sound stage and amazing detail. In my opinion, you're putting together something special. I can't even imagine how loud your Outlaw amp is going to sound with Klipsch reference speakers, given their sensitivity. Just don't tell me you're going to have a microwave and fridge in your home theater. It may be true, but just don't tell me. That would be too much for my heart to take.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
I emailed Outlaw to see what they have to say.

By the way, anybody on the HTF running the 1050 and 750? What do you think of the pair?

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Shawn,

Your speakers have a sensitivity level of 90,92,94db(KM2,KMC,KM4). Take the 90db sensitive KM2. This tells you at 1watt on the receiver/amp if you sit 1meter away from the speakers it will produce 90db. So to hit reference levels(108db) on the KM2 you would only need 64watts of continous power.

1w/1m = 90db

2w/1m = 93db

4w/1m = 96db

64w/1m = 108db

You have to double the power output to get a 3db increase. Your speakers are also rated at a peak power(200w for the KM2 more for the others). Since your other speakers are more sensitive it will take less power to hit these levels. Now this all changes the further back you sit. Personally though I think you should be okay. With the new amp you will hear more detail/clarity/depth that will take away the need to crank the volume.

Kevin

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
Since your other speakers are more sensitive it will take less power to hit these levels. Now this all changes the further back you sit. Personally though I think you should be okay. With the new amp you will hear more detail/clarity/depth that will take away the need to crank the volume.
I actually hadn't thought about that. Currently I only sit about 6ft away. Odd living room setup. But when the basement is completed we'll be much farther back. Now if I could only find a B-stock 750.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks