What's new

Will anyone be down-grading their Panic Room DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I have the superbit and will buy the SE.
Fincher's commentaries on Fight Club and Se7en were excellent and I'm looking forward to what he has to say about Panic Room.

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
I am here to assure you that the Special Edition will in now way be inferior to the existing release. In fact, it will be even closer to how Fincher desired the film to look theatrically. I'll clarify that more at a later date, but suffice to say that picture and sound quality are of tantamount importance to everyone involved, especially Fincher, and there will be no compromise on that. As some of you know, bit rate is only one of many factors involved in quality mastering. It's perfectly possible, if not common, to have a "high bitrate" disc look and sound identical or even worse than a disc with a lower bit rate but more careful compression work.

Thanks,
David Prior
So if you can create an SE with extras and whatnot and provide a transfer that's even better than the original Superbit, why even bother with all the Superbit nonsense? Why not just do it right in the first place and let the marketing department find some other way to earn their paychecks?

Tim Ke

Stunt Coordinator
So if you can create an SE with extras and whatnot and provide a transfer that's even better than the original Superbit, why even bother with all the Superbit nonsense? Why not just do it right in the first place and let the marketing department find some other way to earn their paychecks?
Exactly. Just confirms my opinion that Superbits are simply a marketing gimmick and nothing else.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I'm sure David had nothing to do with the decision to market the original as a SuperBit.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I'm so sorry that I upset everyone when I said "many people here know"; I changed the line to "many people here suspect."

I am also sorry that I jumped to the conclusion that the "Special Edition" was going to be inferior to the Superbit, without having seen it.

Maybe when the Special Edition comes out, we can ask someone with a 100+ inch screen to compare the two versions (and maybe take a couple of pictures of both).

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
I'm sure David had nothing to do with the decision to market the original as a SuperBit.
That's not really my point, and I'm not trying to attack David and blame him. But you have to admit that saying the upcoming SE will have improved image quality over the Superbit is a little damning to the Superbit line.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I'm sorry for not being more informed on the careers of our fellow Forum members but..who is David Prior?

StevenJ

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't even know there was a SE in the works.

Well, maybe I'll have to downgrade. It should have better sound then the superbit. I don't like the sound on the Superbit.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
It won't be a downgrade. As mentioned before, Panic Room Superbit really isn't.

It has the nice shiny Superbit logo but the video bitrate is below average (~4mbs).

Why no one calls them on the carpet for this is beyond me.

Remember how they were supposed to use the entire space for video and audio?

Doug

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The current DVD of Panic Room looks great and represents the movie I saw in a state of the art theatre.

As I don't give a hoot about extras, I'm sticking with the original Superbit release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks