What's new

Will "Annie" be re-released properly? (1 Viewer)

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Ok, so I want to buy Annie so my daughter can watch it, I loved it as a kid and shes been singing "the sun will come out" because my mother sings it to her. Anyway, I have two crappy options. a wide screen 2.0 DD version or a full frame 5.1 version. neither one I want to settle for. Anyone know if this is going to be re-re-released?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
You can have the best of both worlds now by going region-free. It was the brouhaha over this film that pushed me to do so. In region 2 you can get a 16x9 5.1 DTS version in the UK, or if you hate PAL speed-up as I do, get the Japanese version.

Edit: Of course now that I own a PS3 I have yet to find a way to get it to play non-R1 DVDs.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
my player is region free. I guess I should look at finding the Japanese version then. Thank you.

EDIT: any idea who I could order this from?

Greg_M

Screenwriter

I thought the only version available was the Pan and Scan one. Where is the widescreen 2.0 DD available?

This film should be released in widescreen. Why SONY doesn't do it is a mystery - same with "Mackenna's Gold" a beautiful film in widescreen but now only available in Pan and Scan.

Someone need so be replaced at SONY home Video!

By the way "Annie" turns 25 this summer and no real special edition has come out (maybe one with the original numbers of "Easy Street" "Never Fully Dressed" and "Maybe" would be nice, as well as the doc "Lights Camera Annie" - which aired on PBS when the film first came out.

Someone's asleep at SONY

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

I agree 1000%.

Sony must be Japanese for apathy. This and the Mama's Family Season 1 debacle (which Sony had nothing to do with, but still...) makes me think the DVD Gods have it in for Carol Burnett for some reason. And with the color on the new All That Jazz DVD being grossly mis-timed, did Ann Reinking run over someone's dog? :D

I was hoping the 25th anniversary of the film and the 30th anniversary of the Broadway show would not go unnoticed, and with Sony heavily invested in Blu-Ray...

There's still time for Sony to put their best foot forward with catalog titles like this, which are the bread and butter of any studio's library. I imagine there's a lot more demand for this (as well as '82 Best Picture Gandhi, which was redone on DVD and looked glorious on HDNet Movies) than "Are We Done Yet".

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I much prefer the Disney made-for-TV version with Kathy Bates and Victor Garber. True, it has an Academy aspect ratio, but it's a much better production, directed by Rob Marshall (who went on to do the film of CHICAGO), and much more faithful to the stage show.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

That's beside the point. Someone asked about whether it was able to get OAR and decent sound together on the original or not. I would rather just agree to disagree on 82 vs. 99 and leave it at that. But it was still better than the animated "King and I" that same year. Choice is good.

I think we all can agree the less said about "Annie: A Royal Adventure," the better.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Annie needs to be remastered. I have the original disc, and it looks like there are artifacts everywhere.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Jean, you can most likely buy it from amazon.co.jp Type it in the search and on the page for it, clicky the to "view it in English" thing. Maybe even dvdcompare.net would also be helpful? Happy hunting!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
My only happy memory of this version of Annie comes from a scene in Serial Mom. Those who have seen it know what I'm talking about.

In all fairness though, this film should be released in OAR for its fans. And while you're at it Sony, how about an OAR release for Matilda?

Greg_M

Screenwriter

I know about that one (it was actually reissued with the correct framing, the original cut off Ann Reinkings head during the dance numbers) but it hasn't been available for years.

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
wait, so we're debating over original image and original sound, or p&s and a 5.1 remix?

ummmmm original all the way? if we're going to be sticklers for the OAR, how about the same respect for the sound mixer, eh?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Actually, there was a 70mm blow-up which would have had 6-track sound. The Aero Theatre in Santa Monica showed one of these prints last year at a kids' show screening of the film; I wish I could have been there.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
Also note that the 5.1 remix actually removes some sound effects and lines. During "We Got Annie", a friend noticed the chorus was missing in places as characters walked across the screen mouthing words not heard - but heard in the 2.0 soundtrack.

Greg_M

Screenwriter

The Aero showing was a disaster, little children running and screaming all over the place during the screening.

Jerry R Colvin

Stunt Coordinator
And will "Annie Hall" ever be re-released properly?

2007 is the 30th anniversary of the Oscar Best Picture winner, for Pete's sake!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Not likely. Woody Allen doesn't record commentaries or do much in the way of bonus materials. And the current release is anamorphic, if memory serves.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Actually, Annie Hall is not anamorphic either. Guess it was a good thing "Annie Get Your Gun" was shot in Academy Ratio. :D

Too bad you couldn't have bought out the theater like Warbucks did. :) What was the print like, though?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks