What's new

will and SVS be okay with 600 watts? (1 Viewer)

Zane Johnson

Agent
that friend that i've been trying to help get a HT going wants to get a subwoofer now...he was a 1200 FREAKING watt Carver amplifier! it's 600 watts RMS to each channel with peaks up to 750 watts.....it's one he)) of an amp! but he wants to run a sub or two off of it.. will an SVS be able to handle this beast of an amp? later he could get another sub and wire the two in a series and drop that output down to decent levels...but for now will it work?
------------------

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>that friend that i've been trying to help get a HT going wants to get a subwoofer now...he was a 1200 FREAKING watt Carver amplifier! it's 600 watts RMS to each channel with peaks up to 750 watts.....it's one he)) of an amp! but he wants to run a sub or two off of it.. will an SVS be able to handle this beast of an amp? later he could get another sub and wire the two in a series and drop that output down to decent levels...but for now will it work?

Zane Johnson

Agent
the amp has no type of gain or level control...all it has one it at all is input and output and an overheat light.. i figure the reciever will be able to control the volume pretty good though..and if we can't make it quiet that's okay because he's a bass lover anyhow :) and if it's just WAY to much bass he could always use his old preamp..run the LFE out into one of the inputs and then run the preamps "pre-out" to the carver amp...and just control the sub volume with the pre amps volume control..
he hasn't decided on a reciever yet..we haven't even really looked...we need something with pre-outs for every speaker because eventually he will be running every speaker off of an amp.. thus far this is what he'll have...
reciever: ???
Fronts: 4 Klipsh corner horns (2 on each side, stacked) powered by a McIntosh 540 watt (270x2)
Rears: an old pair of Kenwood shelf speakers powered by the reciever so far... (temporary speakers, and they will be amplified later too)
center: ??? so far, he wants a Klipsch though...
sub: one of the SVS's powered by one channel of his Carver 1200 watt amp...
------------------

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
I do not have a comment on the overpower issue...Im only feeding my 25-31cs 70 watts and it rocks hard.
I do have a comment on the svs/kilpsch combo...I am using sf-2 as mains.The svs mates the klipsch speakers beautifully.
------------------

Zane Johnson

Agent
would we have to buy the SVS sub over the net? he wants to listen to one before he buys... is there anybody in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that would be nice enough to let him take a listen.. He IS a serious buyer, the other idea we had for the bottom end is two car subs that can handle 300 watts RMS wired in a series from one of the amp's channels in a bandpass box...
the reciever that's just about won him over is the Harmon/Kardon AVR 210...
------------------

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Zane,
With that much power, and the clear desire to get some SERIOUS bass, I'd have him look hard at a single CS-Ultra. While it is relatively expensive, I assure you the last thing on your mind after you fire one up is wiring together car subs.
The only risk is shipping costs. Using one in the HT in question for 45 days is the only way you'll know this is the best kilo buck in HT bass today.
If'n he can't swing that, then a single 20-39CS will do the amp justice. We get VERY few of these subs back (I can damn near remember each one in an entire year). If your bud is just starting out, this is the first best move he might make. A good sub.
Take a look at our review page for more from folks just starting out, and folks that know more than you can imagine.
Maybe you can find some kind soul in TX to do a demo though.
Ron
[Edited last by SVS-Ron on July 10, 2001 at 10:01 PM]

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Zane I live in Lufkin Texas which is about a 3 hour drive from Dallas area.I recieved my 20-39cs today I probably won't have it hooked up for a few days. I am in the middle of coordinating a ISF tour and it starts tomorrow.If in a couple of weeks you want to road trip feel free to come on down.I have a Servo 15a that the amp is going to be working with, but we can turn it off.I am excited about this 20-39cs, can't wait to hook it up.BTW they come boxed very nice!It would be hard to injure these in shipping but if anyone could UPS could! Let me know.
------------------

Zane Johnson

Agent
i'll see if he'd wanna drive out to Lufkin...he might, i'll get back to ya. :)
i bet we probably do end up getting a 20-39 and just use his old pre-amp to turn the volume down to the amp... i think it will work great...
man planning HT is so exciting :)

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Zane,
There are a couple members in your area that have the subs. One is Due N and the other is Ryan Schnacke.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.