Will and Grace Season 2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Reader, Dec 28, 2002.

1. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

February 24th:
    -Will & Grace Series 2 Volume 1 (Episodes 1-4) £12.99 RRP
    -Will & Grace Series 2 Volume 2 (Episodes 5-8) £12.99 RRP

March 24th:
    -Will & Grace Series 2 Volume 3 (Episodes 9-12) £12.99 RRP
    -Will & Grace Series 2 Volume 4 (Episodes 13-16) £12.99 RRP

April 21st:
    -Will & Grace Series 2 Volume 5 (Episodes 17-20) £12.99 RRP
    -Will & Grace Series 2 Volume 6 (Episodes 21-24) £12.99 RRP

Looks like they are taking the Friends route of only including 4 episodes per disc (Season 1 had 8).

So looks like I'll be buying the French discs (should they become available - I'm expecting them to be soon).

2. Richard Waller

Richard Waller Second Unit

Picture quality should be better with 4 vs. 8 episodes, shouldn't it?

3. James Reader

Not really, maybe there is potential for the picture quality to be slightly better, but I doubt it will be. The 4 episode releases are almost certainly to be on single-sided discs.

4. Richard Waller

Richard Waller Second Unit

Is there a reason why separate releases are done in the UK instead of a boxset?

5. James Reader

6. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

How much is the boxed set going to be? I actually just got all 3 sent to the US for $30 shipped. I'm tired of waiting for the eventual R1 release. Just curious...

Any artwork released yet? Most sites don't even have them up for order that I've seen.

7. James Reader

Its a little early for Season 2 to be generally available for order at the moment, but one site has them with package shots.
    The 3-Disc season 1 boxset has a rrp of £29.99 - a considerable saving when you consider the 3 individual DVDs had a £19.99 rrp.
    Play (http:www.play.com) have the boxset (although with the incorrect release date I think) and the season 2 discs for order (but do not ship to America).
    note the season 2 discs only contain 4 episodes each and are likely to be single-layer only (so no noticeable improvement on audio/visual quality). Thankfully they retail at a lower price, but I still think I'll pass.
    Blackstar had a special offer on the 3 season 1 discs selling them all together for £30 - not sure if this is still on or not. See if it is available from the front page.

8. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

I think I'm gonna wait for a sale on the second season to bite. I know I'll eventually get the US boxed sets when they come out as well so i dunno if i'm so willing to shell out the money. My season one tapes aren't in such hot shape which is why it was easy to go with that option.

Just FYI...it says the first 3 volumes are all coming out on the same date in February. I wonder if that means the other 3 will come out on the same date in march. Hmmmm...

BTW...those are some pretty bad covers.

9. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

Season 2 starting to show up at a few retailers sites...but there's still confusion as to release dates. Play.com still has 3 volumes coming out next month. Most others only have two but who knows. Has there been an official announcement about this yet?

10. James Reader

My initial post was taken from the press release (I think... I copied it [​IMG])

11. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

Interesting...
    I guess we'll have to wait and see. Is there a best price on this one? Play.com doesn't ship to the US.
    I was watching some of season two last night...really good [​IMG]

12. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

What a rip-off!
    I bought the first season of Will & Grace because they seemed like reasonable value, but I certainly won't be buying season 2.
    I bought the last two seasons of Friends from France, BTW. HMV recent sale withstanding, they were cheaper, and, since they have eight episodes on each disc, they only take up half as much room as the UK discs.

13. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

Picked up the first 4 discs of Season 2.
    First two discs arrived already. PQ is same as season one. Best part is that season 2 actually includes the tags (or "endings") where season 1 did not. Extras are VERY short but cute.
    Next two discs already shipped...so can't wait to get em. Season 2 was really really good.
    Now if R1 could only try and catch up. [​IMG]

14. James Reader

I got my season 1 discs from France (available before the UK discs) and while these have forced subtitles I can remove them using a complex series of menu accessing (seems to be a loophole on the player and works on about 60% of discs with forced subtitles).

I was going to wait to get season 2 from France (would also be cheaper than the UK discs) but there appears to be no movement on French Will and Grace season 2 on any of the French DVD sites I frequent.

Does anyone know about a French release for Season 2?

15. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

No news about it in France...

But I would think it's worth it to get it WITHOUT those forced subtitles to spend a little more.

Obviously these sets are not coming out very frequently and as this is the best show on TV right now IMHO...i don't mind spending the money.

I'll be spending it again when the R1 version comes out.

16. James Reader

I refuse to purchase discs with half the content of the original season, but are not half the price of the original season. It's a simple as that. I don't buy Warners UK Friends discs either when they can be got for half the price from Mainland Europe. Companies must learn that not everybody who lives in the UK is ignorant of their pricing strategies.
    ** Rant on! **
    Just to illustrate: If I bought all of the Friends season 8 discs in the UK seperately when they were first released at full MSRP they would cost (6 x £19.99 = £119.94). That's with no supplements. A that's an Earth shattering $182.30.
    Even the now released box set (same content only slightly cheaper due to buying in bulk) costs £99.99 or $151.98.
    I am not going to support such blatent overpricing. Just because Warner can get away with it for Friends, doesn't mean Medusa should assume that they can get away with it for Will and Grace.
    You'll notice Warners have dropped the price of their Season 9 Friends discs in the UK to £15.99. Still too little, too late as far as I'm concerned. They still can't be bothered to supply the UK releases with any supplements (not even a simple cast and crew screen).
    ** Rant off! **
    Looks like the best bet will be to wait - the price of the original season plummeted when the box set was released.

17. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

Not to hurt your rant or anything...

But all of the Season 2 dvd's can be had for around 10 pounds.

18. James Reader

But that's still approximately two thirds of the cost for half the content when compared to the (initial) average on-line discounted cost of the season one discs (before the price drop). They're still costing more money. Besides you have to take the MSRP as the baseline for any pricing comparisons.

So I'm just not going to support such pricing. Becuase if enough people do, what will happen when season 3 is released? Perhaps they'll only include 3 episodes per disc for the same price.

At least Warners seem to have realised how many sales they have lost to oversea's imports on their Friends discs, but as I stated their solution doesn't address the pricing differences enough for my liking - especially when the exact same discs but with double the episodes can be had for around the same price from Continental Europe.

It may be hard for a non-UK resident to understand, but the UK isn't known as "Rip-off Britain" for nothing, and most Internet savvey residents are fed up of comparing astronomical UK prices to those in Europe (and indeed the rest of the world) and finding out how much more UK residents are being asked to pay. Unless I feel the UK prices compare favorably with the rest of the world, I won't be buying British DVD's (and while I'm sure my feelings are reflected by most of the UK members of this forum, I ask that they all do the same).

So I'll wait until they are cheaper. (Sorry about the rant again!)