Will and Grace 11/21/02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I can't believe they actually married off Grace last night. Jack's toast was classic self-absorbed Jack.

Psst....regarding Connick Jr's continuing presence on the show

IIRC, Connick was signed to do around 12 episodes this season, so that have a few episodes to write him out of the show.

The blooper reel was funny, I've been to one taping of a comedy, and the blooper giggles are really really funny to see in person, and seeing the actors trying to get serious to do their lines, and then just busting out because they are in the giggle zone is hysterical and infectious.

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

3. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

My guess is the bit players are a bit more worried about keeping their jobs. You can't fire Debra Messing because she blows a few lines, but if that student nurse couldn't do the bit, they'd find someone else in a hurry.

Also, why would they show the bit players blowing their lines? Its more funny to see the people you watch every week screw up.

4. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

When I got to see a taping of Becker, I was amazed at how the guy playing the blind guy never flubbed his lines at all, even during numerous takes that Ted Danson kept flubbing/laughing through take after take. Sometimes you need that bit of giggles to get the energy level needed for the scene (to have some undercurrents going on while lines are being exchanged).

Sometimes it's easier to play the "setup" person during a scene to set up the punchline, but the actual performing of the punch line can really trip up the actors. Nic Cage and Jeremy Pivens got the giggles while shooting "Family Man" (the outtakes are on the DVD), so it can happen to anyone. Nic was particularly susceptible to laughing at Jeremy with the camera shooting over Jeremy's shoulder (most likely Jeremy just has a funny way of looking at Nic to make him get the giggles).

6. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

Well I find it hard to believe that marriage will last simply because it is against the basic formula of the show.

Usually when this type of thing happens, it is the series finale....but if I recall, Harry Connick, Jr. was only to appear in 13 shows this season.

Unless they are going to pull some sort of thing where he get called into military duty and has to go oversees, or they kill him off by getting kicked in the head by his horse, I can't see this being a long running story line.

7. Jon Torres

Jon Torres Second Unit

I didn't expect Grace to get married off last night either. I do think Connick could have sang a song or two to surprise Grace.

8. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Laughing comes right along with messing up lines, as I learned trying to shoot a small digital feature a few years ago; actually it helps break the tension, at least in my experience.

9. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

I suspect Leo will be written off but not before he gets Grace pregnant, leaving Will to fill the gap. This is completely speculation on my part. [​IMG]

10. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

Was I the only one who was thinking how similar this was to the middle seasons of "Daria"?

Think about it...

Will = Daria
    Grace = Jane
    Leo = Tom

A grand friendship is torn asunder by a new person who comes to town (compare Tom's arrival and wooing of Jane to Leo's arrival and wooing of Grace). While I'm not saying that Will and Leo will end up together (like Daria ended up with Tom), I can see Grace saying that she and Leo aren't right for each other at some point in the future (like Daria saying she doesn't need Tom in "Is It College Yet?").

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Or maybe not.