What's new

Will an S-VHS player help me burn better DVDs??? (1 Viewer)

Mitch E

Auditioning
Here's the story. I have a bunch of stuff on Video tape that I want to transfer over to DVDs. I have access to a DVD recorder. I want to have the picture quality on the DVD look as good as possible and I was wondering....
Will using an S-VHS deck as the source (using S-Video Cable) show a noticeable improvement over using standard VHS deck with composite video cable?
I will transferring the VHS to mini DV and then over to DVD. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
no...not unless the video is recorded on SVHS tapes at the higher resolution. If you are just playing regular VHS tapes in the S-VHS player.....you will still only see the standard VHS resolution.
------------------
Regards,
Brian W. Ralston
"Success is a journey, not a destination." - Unknown

Mitch E

Auditioning
I didn't think that I would be creating resolution by using a better connection but wouldn't the picture signal be cleaner using s-video instead of composite hookup.
Why do copies of VHS tapes look so bad (TV not movies so it shouldn't be a Macrovision problem)?
thanks again,
mitch

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
Yes.
Luma and chroma are recorded separately on VHS tapes. If you use a SVHS VCR with SVIDEO output, you get what was on there. If you use composite out of any VCR, they get combined back together, artifacts are created when they are separated again for the recording process (MPEG compression uses the Y signal and derives Cr/Cb from C), and you may loose bandwidth (detail) as a side effect.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
If you have a higher end JVC S-VCR they (and other brands) have Digital Time Base correction/Noise reduction circuts that significantly clean up the image on playback of VHS & S-VHS recordings. That might help too.
------------------
-Kevin M.
"Have a good time all the time........that's my philosophy, Marty."
[Edited last by Kevin M on September 19, 2001 at 06:36 AM]

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Using a Panasonic AG-1980, Sony SVO-2000, or other pro deck for playback would help even more. The JVC's are just the top of the heap for consumer machines, but the 9500/9600/9800 are atleast close to an AG-1980. The JVC 9xxx series decks greatest strength is playback of camcorder tapes. Good luck with it!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!
[Edited last by Rachael B on September 19, 2001 at 08:56 AM]

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well it seemed to me that the topic starter was asking about Consumer decks & not Pro decks. I guess I could have been wrong about that.
------------------
-Kevin M.
"Have a good time all the time........that's my philosophy, Marty."

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
Yes.
Luma and chroma are recorded separately on VHS tapes. If you use a SVHS VCR with SVIDEO output, you get what was on there. If you use composite out of any VCR, they get combined back together, artifacts are created when they are separated again for the recording process (MPEG compression uses the Y signal and derives Cr/Cb from C), and you may loose bandwidth (detail) as a side effect.
Whoa...hang on here...I was to believe that VHS recorded a composite signal. Which is why you don't see any VHS players with S-Video out... After all, anything a VHS VCR can record is going to be (at best) a composite signal. They have no way to separate the Y/C. Why record Y and C separately, and not offer to output it that way?? This makes no sense.
Now, S-VHS does indeed record the chroma and luma separately, if fed by a S-video signal. If you record broadcast TV on a SVHS VCR however, it's going to be a composite signal....You're just going to use the comb filter that's built into the SVHS deck, if you use the S-video output.
Am I incorrect here?
If not, then there would be no difference or benifit in playing back recorded material on VHS tape in a SVHS VCR, versus a VHS VCR. That is unless of course, your capture device has a worse comb filter than your SVHS VCR. You may get better separation of Y/C depending on which device contains the better comb filter, but your resolution is going to stay at VHS's 270 lines. If you use the S-video out on your SVHS deck, you're using it's comb filter (which is probably a cheaper 2-line). If you use composite out on your deck, then you're going to be using the capture device's comb filter, which is probably a little better. Just like hooking op a laserdisc player to a newer TV....
-Ryan Dinan
patriot.gif

------------------
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks