will an old receiver power a tempest sonosub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ShaneH, Jul 24, 2001.

1. ShaneH

ShaneH Stunt Coordinator

Is this too much to ask of 120x2 20-20 into 8 ohms old technics, even if its a temporary solution? I'm thinking a 12" driver just isnt going to be enough for me. Listened to the paradigm pw2200 and servo-15 today, wow the servo rocked, alot more slam than the 2200.

2. David Giesbrecht

David Giesbrecht Second Unit

A 120x2 amp will be more than sufficient for a Tempest sonosub I'm powering my Tempest sonosub with a 100x2 Technics amp.
    Dave

3. ShaneH

ShaneH Stunt Coordinator

Thx for the reply David, how does the tempest handle music wise? Is it slow or sloppy at all being a 15" driver?

4. David Giesbrecht

David Giesbrecht Second Unit

I could not actually tell you because I have The Tempest and the amp but I have not actually built the sub yet.

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Shane, if you can wait a little over a month you can hear mine [​IMG]
    I had a PDR10 before. My Tempest is tighter and cleaner than it, but should be able to match or beat the output of the Servo15. Hopefully Trevor will allow me to find that one out for sure when I get back to Stoon. From what I've learnt on these forums, bigger cone doesn't mean sloppier bass. In fact the opposite can be true. A big cone doesn't have to move as far to move the same amount of air. So while a little 10" is flayling way out there, where it's hard to control the cones motion, the 15" is just hardly moving and easier to control.
    I'd let you hook up your amp to mine as well, but that would require cutting some wires and removing the plate amp which I really don't want to do [​IMG]

6. ShaneH

ShaneH Stunt Coordinator

Thx for the offer Dustin, sounds like a plan. I'll be in moose jaw for school starting end of August but i'll be back in town a fair bit on weekends to visit the GF, so there should be plenty of chances for a demo. I went to Kiley's today and they renovated the store a fair bit, finally got a decent in room demo of the pw 2200 and the servo-15, if you havent heard the servo-15 yet you should stop in when your back.

7. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

The Tempest will not sound slow or sloppy at all if it is in the right enclosure. If you design an enclosure to lower the Q then a ported enclosure can sound as tight as a sealed box.
    ------------------AOL Instant Messenger Name: kyler70