Will an American PSP work in Europe?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chris Dias, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Chris Dias

Chris Dias Stunt Coordinator

Chris
    My cousin is visiting from England and he wants to buy a PSP. Beaides getting a different AC adapter, will the software that he buys later on in England work? I mean is there any regional coding on the games or Movies?

Thanks,

Chris

2. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

Is he aware that the release date for the PSP in the UK is September 1 and the price will be £179?

The N. American PSP comes with a universal AC adapter, so he should be able to recharge his unit's battery through any electrical outlet.

AFAIK, there is no regional encoding on the games, but Sony has stated that there will be for movies (e.g. movies for the Japanese market are R2-encoded, though some of the adult fare are region-free).

The major risk with purchasing a N. American unit is that the SCEE (Sony Computer Entertainment Europe) will not honour any warranties for technical issues (including dead pixels) that may arise because it wasn't intended for sale within Europe. If he's willing to accept that risk, a N. American PSP would be considerably cheaper than a comparable UK-sold unit.

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

He'll need to swap the power cord to the charger when he gets to the UK - it's a standard lead/socket though, I forget the 'technical' name for it.

Games are region free, movies are not, with Europe being in a seperate UMD region to the US & Japan.

As Ken says, SCEE will not honour the waranty.

A lot of my friends in the UK have already imported PSPs from the US thanks to the strength of the pound & SCEE's delays.