Will "Amityville II" and "Amityville 3-D" EVER Reach Region 1?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Pat_TL, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Pat_TL

Pat_TL Stunt Coordinator

What is the deal with these titles? Why has the UK received Collector's Editions of these titles --- with 5.1 audio to boot --- when the US has NEVER seen the release of these cheesy horror gems? The Goodtimes VHS tape I have of Amityville II: The Possession is in horrible shape, with horrible sound....as a fan of the Amityville franchise, I have been drooling for a US release of these discs; why hasnt America seen these yet? Is there ANY chance of them coming to Region 1?

2. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Well, if they DO release AMITYVILLE 3-D in Region 1, a field sequential 3-D version would be welcome. The red/blue anaglyph downconversion on the R2 disc is simply abysmal...looks NOTHING like the original polarized 3-D version. At least its in the original 2:35 to 1 ratio for the first time. There is a flat version on the disc as well which is far better than the anaglyph mess.

With the remake coming (as well as a probable follow-up) I'm sure they'll end up here at some point to tie in.

Please, no anaglyph though!

3. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard
    Amityville II: The Possession (1982) and Amityville 3-D (1983) had been on my to get on Region 2 list, these two collectors edition DVD releases...that was until I read the comments/observations about the look of Amityville 3-D.

Out of the remaining films in the original Amityville film series, was there a sequel to the first two films?

4. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Richard W
    [​IMG] I never saw the second film, but I saw Amityville 3-D several times in a theater, and I thought the 3-D was excellent, with no major or minor problems. It did not have the best script to start with, but it was well-crafted with good set-pieces and impeccably directed by Richard Fleischer. In 2006, Fleischer told a sold-out audience gathered for his other stereoscopic film, Arena (Fox, 1953), that he was called in to replace the original director and to get the 3-D under control because they were having problems with it. I'm paraphrasing from memory, he commented that the new single-camera system did not produce 3-D as good as the old two-camera system, but it was good enough. To see this film flat is to see just another mediocre sequel, but it's an entirely new and different experience in 3-D. If the studio decides to release it on Blu-ray, it would not kill the studio nor cost them anything special to release it with a proper, polaroid 3-D option. The region 2 anaglyph conversion was a stupid idea. Red and blue glasses kill 3-D.

5. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard
    Would like to see a re-release of both Amityville films on DVD (and Blu-ray, region free). Haven't seen all of Amityville 3-D, but the last half hour or so of Amityville II scared the beejeesus out of me. James Olson and Andrew Prine were very good in their roles (sure this film is the only thing I've seen James Olson in, post-Hawaii Five-O guest star roles). Wondered what happened to the priest who was in the room in the house at the end.