Will all of these direct-view tv "problems" really affect the regular viewer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Watt, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Richard Watt

Richard Watt Agent

I have been putting off purchasing a tv for a while, because of money. However, that might change within the next month or so. Before I start with my subject question, I am currently using a old second-hand Mitsubishi 27" that buzzes all the time. But it was free at the time. That gives you an idea where I'm coming from. I'm looking for a flat-screen 36" direct-view tv, although HDTV is not a need. I don't have a progressive scan DVD player nor do I get HD feeds.
    So, I thought I would look into the general flat screen tv's out there - Wega, Tau, I'art, and Toshiba's new line. As soon as I read a good review on a set, I'll see a bad one right after it. I read about these geometry problems, color blobs, etc. I see where it takes 6 Wega replacements only for the problem to continue.
    I'm not a HomeTheater-aphile, but I would like a good system. Are these problems people are complaining about that big a deal? Thanks for the feedback.
    ------------------
    27" Mistsubishi
    Yamaha RX-V995
    Sony DVP-S7700
    DCM 10" Stand Speakers
    Vampire Wire/Monster Cable Interconnects

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Richard,
    It's important to remember that we are a very fussy bunch of people around here, many of whom have perhaps unrealistically high expectations and standards of perfection, and that those that are happy with their sets are much less likely to post around here than those with complaints.
    I also can't help thinking a lot of the problems are a result of improper user control settings or outside influences like unshielded speakers. Many who complain about poor geometry/tilted pictures aren't aware of the tilt adjustment in many user adjustment menus.
    Also many real problems can be helped immensely by service menu tweaks, and there's a lot of help in that regard available via this forum.
    That being said, be sure whoever you buy from has a good return policy.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

3. Pete P

Pete P Auditioning

Richard -
    Man, you really hit home with your comments. I've been looking for a 36" direct view for a couple of months now and I feel the same; initially thought about a WEGA permutation but read much about uneven brightness, geometry, etc. (and the expense is another story), then thinking about the Toshiba's (good value for the money, but color problems?), then there is the Hitachi's (hard to find info on) and JVC, Panasonic, etc. etc.
    I also agree with Steve, after reading this forum for a while, that many of the people here are very picky (which is GREAT). The postings have been very, very helpful.
    Anyway, half of the fun is in the chase .

4. Darin_M

Darin_M Auditioning

I don't know why everyone complains about the Sonys...I have a KV-32XBR450 and have absolutely no prblems...best TV I ever owned...It has gotten some great reviews also.
    Home Theater rated tops in their DTV shootout in the June 2001 issue...
    Don't woory about what everyone writes...people are picky about different things...just look at the TV's yourself and pick your favorite...no one can tell you what you like.
    ------------------
    --
    Darin

5. Richard Watt

Richard Watt Agent

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I agree that this forum has been very helpful. I have gone by to take a quick look at the Wega's and the new Toshiba. I liked what I saw. In the end I might pass up the Wega just because of cost considerations. However, with that said, I am not going to rule out the Wega (or any set for that matter). I want to get the right tv for me.
    BTW, I have started looking at another possible matchup. It would be the RCA MM36110 36" TV and iScan Pro combination. Darin, if I am correct I remember reading in that review, that some of the reviewers would have picked the 32" RCA if it had come with a line doubler and 16:9 function.
    Edit:
    Is this the article: http://www.hometheatermag.com/showarchives.cgi?73
    ------------------
    27" Mistsubishi
    Yamaha RX-V995
    Sony DVP-S7700
    DCM 10" Stand Speakers
    Vampire Wire/Monster Cable Interconnects
    [Edited last by Richard Watt on August 21, 2001 at 10:04 PM]

6. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

I would like to add my own vote for the Sony WEGA. I have had a KV-32FV27 for over a month now, and I'm very thrilled with its performance! Some slight geometry errors (tilt problems), but nothing so severe that it couldn't be tweaked/corrected via the user or service menu.
    All in all, it's a gorgeous set with Anamorphic DVDs (and even DVDs without an anamorphic transfer). Believe me, there are very few DVDs I would get that don't come with an anamorphic transfer (they'd have to be movies that are absolute favorites of mine and don't have a Special Edition treatment in sight).
    ------------------
    - Brian
    My DVD Collection
    Want Sliders on DVD? Then please SIGN the petition!

7. Mike--HH

Mike--HH Auditioning

I have a Panasonic CT32HX40 Tau and love it. I haven't had any problems. Granted, I'm not quite as picky as some of the people here, but even after looking for geometry problems, I haven't found anything. I think it could benefit from a calibration using Avia and getting into the Service Menu. But it's not that critical to me.
    Mike

8. Carol Curtis

Carol Curtis Stunt Coordinator

Maybe you should wait & see what the new RCA flat tubes look like? Just a thought.

9. Richard Watt

Richard Watt Agent

Carol,
    RCA has newer flat screen's coming out? I wasn't sure how your post was meant, but I am not going to buy a tv unseen. I plan on going by Best Buy tomorrow to check out the RCA as well as Sears to see if they have it. However, if you are talking about a different flat screen model, I would love to know what it is. Thanks.

10. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Richard:
    "Will all of these direct-view tv "problems" really affect the regular viewer?"
    Excellent question.
    It depends on what you "see." Those of us that hang around these HT Forums, have trained eyes that know what to look for. Until someone shows you mis-convergence, bad geometry, or color non-uniformity, you may never find it yourself.
    The old story goes something like this. Take someone who's lived with the same TV for 10-20 yrs. He/she claims they couldn't be happier with the set's picture & performance. Explain and show them a couple of the problems and how to identify the items. Now they hate their set and want a new one. The problem here is that you can't un-train your eye. Once you know what to look for, you can't help but do it all the time.
    So, if you "can't see" the items now, then almost any set will make you happy. If you know what to look for, then you may not be totally happy with these sets, especially the 36" models. I remember reading an explanation from a TV engineer (I think it was Sony) a couple yrs ago that basically stated that 32" was the ideal "large" size for the tube TV design. Anything larger (such as the popular 36" size) almost always had convergence, geometry, and some uneven brightness issues. Its inherent to the size.
    My suggestion: if you don't have the eye, keep it that way and that'll make your TV viewing that much more enjoyable. How does the old saying go? Ignorance is bliss.
    Rich B.