Will all new Universal DVD's come in cases like Far From Heaven's?????????

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Aaron Cohen, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

I just bought Far From Heaven and was surprised to find that at least for this title Universal changed the dvd cases they had been using for quite some time..... There are now two flaps on the side you open the DVD case that must be pushed open before the case can be opened. Is there any point to this at all? Were people having problems with their cases popping open and the disc falling out so they felt the need to add these flaps? Anyone know if Universal plans to use these on all forthcoming dvd releases? The most recent Universal discs I purchased were About A Boy and Undercover Brother and neither had these flaps so I'm assuming that Far From Heaven is one of the first, if not the first Universal title to use these flaps.....

On a side note, the movie is great. I'm very glad I saw Ron had highly recommended this title as I probably would have overlooked this one.

2. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

neither of my copies have the 'flap'?

3. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

I picked up Undercover Brother a couple of weeks ago and it had the flaps. I checked other copies of it later on and none had it. This is really wierd and completely pointless, the disc won't fall out anyway.

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I believe it's a security feature. Shoplifters usually just slit the security stickers, pop open the case, and take the DVD. Now, before they can pop the case, they have to peel off the entire sticker to get to the little clips. Takes longer, less theft (at least I think that's the idea).

The only one I've seen with this case is "The Scorpion King." My UB didn't have this case either.

5. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

what do they do with coverless discs?

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

They can buy replacement keepcases and print out covers from any number of websites. Then they just add it to their collection or sell it.

7. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

This is a theft protection measure to cut down on the common practice of slicing the side open with a razor and slipping the disc out. What movies it gets used on seems to be completely random, with some copies being in regular keepcases. For instance, Orange County was the first movie I got in a case like this, but a friend at work has it in the regular case.

8. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

I decided to just break my flaps off. They break quite easily and then problem solved. No stupid hassle waste of time of having to open the flaps to take the disc out and no more brother yelling for help because the case won't open.

9. GarySchrock

GarySchrock Second Unit

Hmm, I ran across a case around Christmas that actually had pieces of plastic that you had to cut (recessed in a little slot) in order to open the case. For the life of me I can't remember what disc I saw that on, but remember it being real annoying.