What's new

Will "Ali" Make Michael Mann The BMOC? (1 Viewer)

Stephen_M

Agent
First, you have to consider Steven Soderbergh's last five films as he qualifies here as a nominee: "Out of Sight" "The Limey" "Erin Brockovich" "Traffic" "Ocean's Eleven".

Now, consider Mann's last four: "Manhunter" "The Last of the Mohicans" "Heat" "The Insider". If he delivers on "Ali", I would assert that would be a better five-picture run than Soderbergh or any director right now. He's not the flashiest director around but the ability to deliver high-quality work and still be commercially viable would give him the "Big Man on Campus" title at present.

I am interested in all opinions on this because I have been impressed by how his career is developed. The only warning sign I see is his films are starting to get too long - there was no excuse for "The Insider" to be over 2 1/2 hours, IMHO.

Fire away!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
We'll see. Early buzz is the movie is good but not great.

Smith has captured Ali the fighter but he and Mann did not seem able to present Ali the man.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Maybe true, but doesn't how Soderberg did his five-film run in a four-year period count for something?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Are you talking about box office success or overall quality? (The term "BMOC" seems to suggest the former.) Mann needs Ali to be a hit, because The Insider was a box office flop (though a fine film).

M.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
After Stanley Kubrick, I think Oliver Stone is the king. He has a amazing 9 picture run in 10 years:

1. Platoon

2. Salvador

3. Wall Street

4. Born On The Fourth Of July

5. The Doors

6. JFK

7. Heaven & Earth

8. Natural Born Killers

9. Nixon

If I had to pick between Soderberg and Mann I would pick Mann by a large margin.I think hes a great filmmaker.

Stephen_M

Agent
To Michael Reuben: Good question - I am referring actually to both qualities in a way. Let me phrase it like this: None of Mann's - Soderbergh's films have tanked so badly that they have lost their ability to make the films they wanted.

To Jason: Yes, it could - for my purposes though, I am ignoring the timespan.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
BMOC must be defined. My GUESS is that Peter Jackson will be the toast of Hollywood for a while. Assuming LOTR makes bucks...LOTR will appear on many awards lists and moneymaking lists (the ones they REALLY care about in Tinseltown). Considering his herculean effort on LOTR (and future in 2002 and 2003), I expect him to be a huge commodity, given great power.
Michael Mann is an incredible filmmaker, but he rarely touches the majority of filmgoers. He touches movieLOVERS. Ditto for Steven Soderbergh, although O11 is helping him out in that department. As for respect, David Fincher is probably one of the most respected Directors in Hollywood. Even Steven Soderbergh follows him around.
So BMOC depends. It's probably still Spielberg:)
Take care,
Chuck

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Mann needs Ali to be a hit, because The Insider was a box office flop...
Ali is playing out much like Milos Forman's Man On The Moon. Both are biographical films with a Christmas holiday release. While Man On The Moon garnered some notices for both the film and Jim Carrey, the early good buzz on both Ali and Will Smith's performance is now seriously being doused with both names AND Michael Mann hardly being mentioned in most critics year-end lists.
Granted Ali is a more well-known figure than Andy Kaufman, the films' subject matter, the average moviegoer has very little interest on biographical films. A box office hit will be a tough goal for Michael Mann and Ali.
~Edwin

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Ali is a good, not great film. It's essentially highlights of his life from 1964-74. It's skillfully made and entertaining, but I can't say that it's something that's going to stick with me.

Mann takes to long between films for him to be truly the "hot" director of the moment. Even if this film performs well, I don't see him becoming a household name. (Soderbergh has become close to one sheerly by his major successes and media appearances.) He seems to shun publicity--I don't recall seeing any interviews with him--and let the films speak for him. He's a very good director, and that's good enough for me.

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
As for respect, David Fincher is probably one of the most respected Directors in Hollywood.
Fincher is definitely one of my favorite directors. Think about it, the guy's done Se7en, The Game, and Fight Club (let's not count Alien3 here :)), with the first and the last mentioned being two of my favorite movies of all time, and The Game being right up there as well. He is a contender for BMOC.
I can't wait for The Panic Room to come out. Basically, IMDB says its about "Three men search for a missing fortune in a big mansion while a woman hides in one of it's rooms." I know with Fincher he never gives you what you expect, but does anyone know anything else about it?

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I appreciate Mann's artistry but have zero interest in the subject matter of Ali. Still, I applaud his willingness to tackle different subject matter and I hope the movie does well for him.

bill lopez

Second Unit
What more can ALI offer than THE GREATEST staring Ali playing himself? Plus we've seen the documentaries of him also. What was the purpose of making this movie?

Youssef

Stunt Coordinator
i dont know too much about directing but i do think Mann is an incredible director. "Insider", from the surface seemed like a dull movie but after watching it, i found it very well written and directed, not to mention excellent acting by crowe and pacino. "Heat" also was another favorite of mine. i love watching that movie over and over again. the final scene, the score, the acting, everything was brilliant in that movie. his movies might be too long but he does develop all the characters pretty well and i think thats why his movies run a bit longer. i definetely agree with steve's thoughts and how he feels Mann takes on non traditional movies, but that's what makes him unique. i for one think david fincher is the hottest director right now in hollywood.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Mann just doesn't have enough great films in a short enough span. And Ali would have to prove itself to be Insider quality.
A bit like what kept Kubrick from being the BMOC instead of Spielberg after Full Metal Jacket came out.
At this point the one person that is about to be BMOC thanks partially to The Insider is Russell Crowe. Nomination for Insider, win for Glad, maybe another win for Beautiful Mind. Box office darling as well.
Crowe is the new Tom Hanks it appears (in terms of success/appeal).
Just think, A Beautiful Mind was the film he was making when he flipped that girl off. Looks like that will be long forgotten, as will his Oscar-joke pouts. Doesn't take long to be up or down in H'wood, does it? :D

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I totally agree with Jonz, Oliver Stone has yet to fail at a film in my opinion(Coming from me, who thinks Oliver Stone is the best). Michael Mann is also a top director but I disagree with whomever said that Insider should have been cut down. That film went by like nothing and every was great about it. As for S.S., he is awesome at combining arts and business into a film. His films do very well at the box office and are also very acceptable films. Too compare those two directors though is hard, Mann goes for hard truth while S.S. has a very laid back style and is willing to let the improve of the actors bring out the comedy in pictures, much like P.T.A. But please, no one forget about Oliver Stone!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks