What's new

will a Yamaha RX-V395 work ok with Jensen SPX-7's ??? (1 Viewer)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
We’re confused here too, James. That's probably why no one has responded to your post. What is a Jensen SPX-7’s?
And what do you mean by “work ok?” Do you mean will it give a picture? Sound? Blow up? Make the neighbor's microwave oven turn on?

Please give some details on your situation and concerns, James. We can’t read minds, and you can’t reasonably expect that everyone here is an encyclopedia of every model number that every manufacture makes and has ever made. :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
James,

The Jensen speakers are very fine, very capable floorstanders. They are rated to handle up to 150 watts of amplification. If I were to match these with a receiver, I would look for one that's 100 watts per channel to get enough power to properly drive these big boys.

The Yamaha RX-V395 is an earlier model, now discontinued, that's rated 60 watts per channel. This MAY be enough but still seems somewhat underpowered for the Jensens. It may drive them OK, but one would have to hook 'em up and turn the volume up to listen. The Jensen speaker impedance is 6 ohms, which means in practice you would select the 8 ohm setting on the rear of the Yamaha.

Many people say that getting GOOD speakers is the first priority. If you have the opportunity to acquire these speakers -- you've saved money from a job, or perhaps your family is helping buy them -- by all means get the Jensens. Later you can look to getting a more modern receiver, and one that comes with DolbyDigital and DTS decoding built in togehter with the new Dolby Prologic II surround sound mode.

At this stage, the two Jensens are good for stereo only. If you got a receiver such as I describe, then you are getting into a Home Theater type system that handles DolbyDigital 5.1 surround sound to play DVD movies together with a television. Of course, then you would have to buy a Jensen center speaker whose sound tone matches the two mains (same model series), two surround speakers and a subwoofer.

I hope this helps.

bill

James.Scutt

Auditioning
yeah sorry about the dodgy message! :p
Well thanks very much for your help Bill, very much appreciated! Well I think next time before I buy speakers I will look at the specs of my amp. And also I just bought this amp! I guess the excitment of listening to the Jensen's made me not think straight!
Damn this is not good because the speakers are on lay-by (lay away) right now! plus i bought the amp second hand (of course).. so now I dont know what to do.. actually I'll try and sell it off quickly and get a stereo amp which will be cheaper hopefully!

Laters,
James

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks