What's new

Will a tempest 15" be a good match for a PE 250watt amp (1 Viewer)

Brett Creider

Stunt Coordinator
Or will the amp not push enough power for it?

It's a debate between it and the Dayton DVC 15", both are the same price after shipping...Tempest is better it seems...any other matches?

David Giesbrecht

Second Unit
The 250 watt PE amp will do it, but a Tempest can handle more juice than that especially if you are running it in a vented enclosure. I would check out the the QSC RMX850 for a single vented Tempest or other prosound amps if you really want to hear what it can do. The 850 is a little more than it can handle but you won't ever clip it. If your running it in a sealed enclosure a little less power might be preferable, between 350 and 500 watts works awsome.:emoji_thumbsup:

PS The tempest will require a larger enclosure but with that larger enclosure comes extra sensitivity in the deep subsonics. It's a better driver.

Brett Creider

Stunt Coordinator
I don't...exactly...get that Q business. It looks like it just depends on the size...which I am planning it to be 18 or 24" diameter and 4' tall...

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
250 watts is just fine for either the Tempest or DVC. I tend to like the frequency response of the Tempest a bit better than the DVC so that's my choice but both are excellent drivers.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
but a Tempest can handle more juice than that especially if you are running it in a vented enclosure.
Can't a sealed Tempest actually take more power than a vented? Especially below tuning, I think a vented has lower power handling. Although, there is the benefit of increased sensitivity.

Matt Dolejsi

Agent
that amp will do it, given your enclosure choice i definitely see it reaching its mechanical max, or at least very close to it

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks