What's new

Will a SVS PB1-ISD or 25-31PCi make me happy? (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I recently had a e-mail exchange with Tom V. and like always, he was VERY helpful.

He said in my room (13' X 13'6 X 9'), the 25-31PCi will give me 112-115 dB. and 20 Hz. - honestly, I don't know what this means! I have not had a real subwoofer :frowning:

Would 112-115 dB. be 'earth-shattering'?

When I listen to music, it is rarly above 100 dB. at 1 meter on my Rat Shack meter.

Thanks!

If this is the case, I might order. I will be selling my JBL 4648A-8 (see below for explanations), JBL SVA1500's, and HLS Center and getting some Klipsch SF-3's and a SC-3, and a subwoofer. I am getting a 'special' 'deal' on the (new, legit) Klipsch's, so it is VERY worthwhile.

*Explanation: I got the sub from the Tent Sale and got a PE plate amp - which I now realize never worked right, and then died. The sub is big and I want more low bass than anything else. I also bought a pair of JBL SVA1500's at a pawn shop for $300/pr. and those will go, too. Also, my JBL HLS Center will be sold. The only speakers I am keeping are my JBL HLS 610's which will preform surround duty for the time being.

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator

I would email Tom back, tell him the spec's mean nothing to you, but what you want is "earth shattering" bass, and what should you get? He will know what to recommend.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Yes, 112- 115 dB at 20 Hz IS earth shattering, It will also sound great, and will do everything you ever ask. You want a good Jazz ensemble re-produced, you got it, Nirvana at concert levels into the deepest bass ? Yep... Lord of the Rings at "reference" (for now, you will get every bit of bass the movie delivers, you can learn what reference means later) ?? ... Also a big yes...

Order the one you think fits your decor... and enjoy !

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
115 dB is reference level (i.e the level the DVD is mastered to be played back at) for bass with the mains set to "large". With the mains set to "small" you would need a tiny bit more. However, as said above, reference level is LOUD and if you can approach reference level, you are all set. Besides, Tom V's recommendations are gospel and the only reason to spend more would be if you like a little extra horsepower even though you do not need it.

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
Kenneth, if you want the lowest bass for music, you should probably look at the 39inch or 46inch SVS models. Though the 25-31PCPlus model can be tuned down to 22Hz with the port plugs. Even with the 25-31, in your size room, it will have more than enough bass.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Well, I think I know what I need to do.

If I order my Klipsch SF-3's and SC-3's (total of 4, 8" woofers and 2, 6.5" woofers!), and then the SVS, I think it might make me 'happy' :)

The X-over will probably only be 50 Hz. or so!

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Mike - I just want more output for music. Also, for the price of JUST the JBL center, I can have SF-3's and a SC-3 - AND sell the JBL's, so the Klipsch rig will basically cost me chicken $**t

The JBL's are for home theater or monitors, they are amazing speakers, but not what I need.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Mike - another thing is while these speakers are sorta-horn loaded, they need a TON of power to get going, and the Klipsch's will let me have more sound with less amp - as in, cheaper to get a good receiver for the speakers. If I can sell the JBL's for $300-400, the Klipsch's will practically be free.

Also, I have 3,500 posts in the Klipsch forum :b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks