What's new

Will a SVS PB1-ISD be able to fill my 23’x18’x14’ space? (1 Viewer)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Due to space available and budget constraints I can’t go with anything larger than the PB1. My system is used primarily for SACD/DVD-A playback (80/20). For SACD/DVD-A, I run my sub dialed down to 40Hz because my mains (set to large in 2900) cover very well down to 35Hz. Will I be able to tell $650 dollars worth of a difference between the CHT-12 and the PB1? Or, should I spend my upgrade money on a used 150-200W three channel amp (Adcom or Parasound) for the front sound stage?

My modest 5.1 setup:

Toshiba 35"
h/k AVR 525 (ctr&rears)
h/k PA2000 (L&R)
Denon DVD-2900
JBL S310-II's
JBL S-Center II
JBL S36-II's (rears)
Velodyne CHT-12
23'x18'x14' LxWxH (vaulted) Living room.

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Hi John,
IMO you are not letting the sub do its job. Setting the cross overs to 40 the sub being neglected. Doesn't the CHT go down to about 28Hz? The sub may seem week because of the limited amount of signal it is allowed to see.

Before investing any additional money my recommendation would be try integrating the sub into the system a little more.

Though the fronts in my HT go down low the SvS PC ultras take care of anything under 80Hz.

Your room is large, changing your crossovers may yield some unexpected positive results.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Scott, thanks for your feedback! I’ve experimented multiple times with setting my mains to small in the 2900 and moving the x-over up to 80Hz. But, for Hi-Res playback it just doesn’t sound as good to me. The CHT-12 is a little boomy and my mains tend to sound a little thin. Now, for movies (seldom used) I move the x-over up to 80Hz and use the Toslink into my 525 where everything is set to small. The CHT-12 may be rated to 28Hz, but mine really starts falling off dramatically between 32-35Hz using Avia and my RS analog meter. I have it positioned in a corner, in the same line with the front sound stage. I’m wondering if the PB1 could provide better coverage (less boomy) from 80-20Hz for movies and 40-20Hz for Hi-Res audio in a room this size.

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Hi John,

I haven't experienced the PB1 but have experienced the PC+ 2039. Compared to the Cambridge Sound P500 and 1000 and the Klipsch RSW10 the PC+2039 definitely engulfs my HT more so than the other subs.

Have you considered the PB10?

From the brief notes from Ed it sounds very impressive.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Scott, you mean the PB10-ISD with the 10" driver? I didn't consider it because I thought I'd need at least the PB1-ISD to fill the space.

Eric Hargrove

Stunt Coordinator
Hi John,

I used to have a CT120 and then upgraded to a CS20/39+ and then an Ultra and then yet another Ultra. The Velodyne is a respectable performer. The PB1 raises the bar much much higher as far as all aspects of performance are concerned. It would probably take 3 or more CHT12 subwoofers to equal the low frequency output of the PB1 assuming you don't run into phase issues.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Eric good info! So you think the PB1-ISD will have no difficulty filling a moderate to large size room?

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator
Hey John, different Eric here. I recently bought a PB2+ and am running it in a 23' x 19' x 8' room. It totally fills the room with a wall of shuddering bass with the gain set at 2, and the sub level on the reciever set at -5. A friend and I have stated that a PB1 would have been plenty. However, if you plan on playing your music really LOUD, you would probably need more sub. Though you won't get more for $599 elsewhere.

EdNichols

Second Unit
John,
I think if you are not concerned with movies then really "filling your room" shouldn't be a concern. The sub for music should blend in and not be noticed unless you have some really low bass notes. Unless you play at loud levels that is. IMO you would only need lots of bass for a loud & low LFE in a movie. Again, just my opinion.

ScottCarr

Second Unit
I agree with Ed. I finding it amazing how well the SvS blends. Others that have heard the system were amazed at how well the subs compliment the Klipsch RF7s. In movies they were amazed at their pants dancing from the impact.

As a friend made mention to, music is an enviroment that is meant to complile a wide array of sounds and instruments without drowning any one sound out. Movies are articificially created for maximum impact at any given moment.

Eric Hargrove

Stunt Coordinator
I think it would be a very noticeable upgrade. It is not going to get you reference level as your room is roughly 5800 cubic feet. That being said, if it were my money, I would do it. It is probably one the most if not the most cost effective upgrades you can do for you system at this point. A word of caution, bass this good is addictive so if there is any way to fit a PB2ISD or + into your room physically or financially, it may save you from a future upgrade.:)

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator
I agree. If you can come up with the coin for a PB2-ISD, you won't regret it, but the PB1 would be a major step up from the CHT-12 in terms of extension and roll-off.

TonyWright

Second Unit
As a new owner of the PB2-ISD I can definitely vouch for it's power. Holy cow this thing seriously rocks my house. I am still playing with setup and such, but I am very very impressed with SVS. I think you should definitly get the PB1 or PB2.

Tony

john_FE

Stunt Coordinator
John, I am in the same exact place as you are. I emailed SVS on this. I have a 20x16 room with openings so my room is around the same size. Basically waht they told me was the PB1-ISD would go down into the teens If corner loaded but If I was going to always listen at theater levels (loud) Then maybe the PC+ series would be the way to go. Basically for me, I have a wicked WAF who could watch a movie on a 13" TV, she could care less about the sound. Plus I have a newborn come Jan so that facters in for me.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

Again, .... Once REFERENCED Calibrated, ... - Yes!

The above response is based on my 2-1/2 years of sub-sonic & air moving experience in my 20' x 30' w/10' vaulted ceiling HT/family room using the SVS 25-31PCi - (Received on APR. '02 & REF CAL = Dolby Labs DD-EX w/dedicated LFE test tones @ 75 dBc, verified with Original & Digital Video Essentials, Sound&Vision HT Tune-up and AVIA @ 75 dBc & 85 dBc respectively)

My SYS 25-31PCi is in placed @ my front right corner behind my 6' Yamaha Grand, and @ my usual -10 dB below REF Level, ... well you can read my subjective (Video Essential REF Calibrated) SVS 25-31PCi review in this 4/12/02 - HT Forum thread.

NOTE: My latest REF Calibration results is posted HERE, @ my website - documenting my Yamaha RX-V1300!

This next linked review includes subjective comments & objective results w/graphs, ... basically confirming my above subjective experiences documented above ...

SVS 25-31 PCi Powered Subwoofer December, 2002 Product Review by John E. Johnson, Jr.

Let me say that everything I wrote in my above linked HTF April 2002 review still stands today!!! I still smile (basically a permanent SVS 'grind' :D) every time I watch any newly purchased or owned DVD @ -10 dB below REF Level (approx. 105 dB AVG Fast LFE SPL Peaks), it's powerful enough to move the air, couch, cement w/oak overlay floor, walls and pant leg's easily!!! :D (i.e. Tomorrow Never Dies; Daredevil; Tomb Raider II; Star Wars Trilogy; Phantom Menace; Attack of the Clones; Star Trek - First Contact; Star Trek Nemesis; etc.)

My usual once or twice a month Friday NITE DVD family / friends group, ... commented that my SVS added to the overall DD/DTS-5.1/6.1 surround system seamlessly by adding the visceral sub-sonic air moving impact(s) to the blockbuster DVD movie action that we're viewing on my 50" 16:9 Toshiba HDTV screen!

Oh by the way, ... you got some super nice JBL's to compliment any SVS model!!!
Phil

john_FE

Stunt Coordinator
John, I havent really decided yet. I just purchased Swans and a pioneer 1014 so Im a bit strapped. I have basically come down to 4 subs.

HSU VTF III MK II
SVS PBS-ISD
SVS 20-39PCi
SVS 20-39PC+

I think obviously the + is my high end sub, plus the shipping is a ton less than the SVS boxes. I equate the HSU with the PBS-ISD sub so the fact that its a bit more money factors in. The PBS-ISD/20-39PCi is pretty close to the same sub, one is a tube. My thoughts are If I am putting that big tube and risking my WAF's wrath I might as well save and get the most out the that "space" and move up to the +

The PBS-ISD is about $50 shipped to me so getting that for $650 is tempting. The tubes are about $25 shipping so basically is about a $200 swing to get the +

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks