Will a Samson s700 be enough to power a 20-39cs+?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Fineberg, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Brian Fineberg

Brian Fineberg Second Unit

I just bought a samson s700 to power a 25-31cs and now with the home theater spot group buy I have decided to sell my sub and buy a 20-39cs+. Now I know these usually are boiught with a s1000 so my question is will I be wanting more by not having the extra wattge? My room is small now 12x10 but I am thinkig in the future?

-B

2. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

From what I understand it will but you will get a little more headroom with the s1000

3. Brian Fineberg

enough to regret buying the 700?

-B

4. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Brian,

If you want to push the Plus subs like they are willing/able to go then get the S-1000. If you don't intend to push it then really there is no reason to go with S-1000, but then the ratinale for getting a Plus sub is in question too.

You'll always wonder what the extra amp power would do for you. The difference is not much in cost.

Why skimp, unless you need to just to get the Plus in the door.

Ron

5. Brian Fineberg

Well Ron, thanks for the reply.

I got the s700 to power my cs. I want the cs+ becasue I hve an oportuniy to get one with a discount. I figure get the best and have no regrets. Will the max power of the s700 be that far off from the 1000? I already purchased the s700(used) so there is no returnng it. I was just wondering am I going to be missing a ton? If that is true then I won't even bother geting the cs+. I wanted the cs+ to one 1. upgrade to the lowr extending 20-39 2. Also to possibly use port plug to get the even lower extension 3. to have the best and not worry when I move into a bigger room that I will have enough headroom.

-Also I should point out that i bought the s700for 229 so I got it really cheap.

I am just sitting here wishing had the cs+ because I know it is the best(not includng the ultra and ss). Iam really confused and staringto get fustrated. Wll this 700 and a 20-39 cs+ be suffice and a MAJOR improvement over my curent setup of a 25-31cs and s700???

-B

6. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Brian,

Upgrading to a Plus sub will be an improvement but it certainly won't be AS significant given you are running a S-700. The additional tuning flexibility, plus the ability to upgrade the amp down the road might be enough reason for you.

If you are talking about a current driver in the CS (vice our older driver), then the difference with a Plus sub, driven with a S-700 may not reach "MAJOR" improvement status.

Add the S-1000 (a solid 200 watts per channel more) and the differnce with what you have now will certainly be pronounced.

It's not an easy call, especially if you factor in your time do settle the sale for the old sub, and the fact you seem to be pleased with what you have now.

In tough calls like this I always flip a coin. ;^)

Ron

7. Brian Fineberg

RON,

I have the OLD driver in my cs. So what doyou think isthe best case scenario. Stick with my current sub and upgrade the driver and then down the road get a second sub? Or sell the sub(buyr is all lined up just need to exchage money and ship) And get the CS+ ad upgrade the amp if in fact I feel that is even needed?

I really appreciate your help cause I only have until the 7th to finish this decisionn.

-B

8. Norman Short

Norman Short Stunt Coordinator

I've been wondering this same thing. I snapped up an S700 B-stock recently thinking whether I bought an SVS or decided to DIY I could get good use out of it. But I've been undecided about whether to go with the 20-39CS or the plus version. Since that time I decided that going DIY would likely produce overkill, considering what I had planned and the glowing reports of killer bass from the SVS, which is actually a much smaller sub than I had planned to build.
    Now that I've set my sights on SVS I'd been wondering the same thing Brian had, and the new driver in the regular CS along with secretive hints about a soon-coming less expensive but better performing line has muddied the waters of choice considerably.
    I'll probably do the group buy which would get me 15% off, but in that case I could buy a 20-39CS+/S1000 combo for a mere $40 over keeping the S700 and buying the plus sub alone. So my choices have become:
    A. Keep the S700 and buy the 20-39CS+. From what I'm hearing, it seems the combination of the new driver in the regular CS along with the fact that the S700 wont drive the plus line to it's limits seems to make this a less perfect choice.
    B. Keep the S700 and buy the 20-39CS. Seems like a reasonable choice; they were made for each other. Question is whether it would provide as much bass as I want. Of course I could buy 2, but at the moment the budget can only handle buying one sub. To help you help me, I'll give my room descriptions and other pertinent info below.
    C. Return the S700 (still within the 45 day window, and the darn thing hasn't even been powered up yet) and buy the 20-39CS+/S1000 combo. Before the group buy this wasn't really an option for me as $1000 was a little bit out of my budget constraints. I'm leaning this way at the moment because I wont have the nagging worries about whether I should have bought the better sub. If even the mighty plus didn't give me enough bass, I still have the amp to get a second one later. I do hate buying and returning stuff though.
    D. Return the S700 and buy one (or possibly even 2) of whatever you have coming out soon. From the hints I've read, it sounds like a PC model with an improved driver, more powerful amp, and a lower price tag. Not knowing if any of this is in fact true, and not knowing the particulars of whether the new sub will best meet my needs makes this choice one remaining in limbo. I don't mind the waiting so much as I worry about running out of my return window on the S700, which hasn't even had a power cord attached to it yet. As a quick aside, I considered giving the S700 a tryout at least by hooking it up to my mains, but they are only rated for 150W, peak of 400W and I don't know if the amp is too much for them (Klipsch La Scalas which don't exactly need 350W btw). No idea if the amp would even sound good with main speakers but it was an idea to at least try the amp out.
    I'm desperately trying to keep the budget below $900. My room is a dedicated theater room 13x23x8 without windows and only solid doors. The room treatment includes quite a bit of diffraction rather than absorption. The room is live enough, but reverberations are pretty limited. My current sub is a Klipsch KSW-15 which has a pretty nasty 60Hz peak in room. The Secrets subwoofer comparison reviewed this sub and showed that it has a naturally occuring peak in this range, so I don't know yet if an SVS would lack this peak or if it's a room response issue that might require EQ. Having to buy an EQ would bust the budget, which is another reason I'm trying to hold costs down.
    As for listening, I'm used to the effortless dynamics of the Klipsch speakers and have been looking for a sub to keep up with them. The current sub can, except only between 34-80Hz with said nasty 60Hz peak. I listen primarily to rock, blues, and classical music, though all this talk about pipe organs made me listen to some and I like it. I like it loud, I like to demo material, and my sub needs to be able to handle this music along with the most demanding HT applications. A tall order for one sub, I know, but I can't afford 2 right now, unless these new subs come down below $450. I review DVDs so I use my system a lot for movies, though I love music and really came to the hobby from the audio end. I review music too. So roughly 50/50 movies/music.
    You guys have sure made decision making tough [​IMG].
    Norman Short