What's new

Will a Rotel RB-1080 power these? (1 Viewer)

Paul Chalk

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking about getting some Dynaudio Audience 52's. Because my receiver won't power them properly, (Denon 2802 - minimum 6 ohms) I've decided to get an amp. The Rotel RB-1080 is one that I'm considering.

I pulled these specs of the Audience 52's from Dynaudio's site.

Impedance, Nominal: 4 ohms

Impedance, (20-200 Hz): 3.7 - 11 ohms

Impedance, (200-20 kHz): 3.7 - 9.6 ohms

Impedance, HF (200 kHz): 5.8 ohms

On the back of the Rotel, there a small note by the binding posts saying "SPEAKER IMPEDANCE - 4 ohms minimum"

Will the Rotel power the 52's properly?

Phil M

Stunt Coordinator
I'd e-mail Rotel and see what they say. I wondered about that as well as I just purchased a 1075 power amp and am also interested in Dynaudio speakers.

I did read a couple reviews on the 1075 in which the reviewer purposely used 4 ohms or less speakers to see what would happen, and reported that they couldn't tax it.

I don't know about the 1080? I do really like the sound of the 1075 though.

Phil

BrentPollard

Second Unit
I have the old RB-985 five channel THX which is a 4 ohm minimun and I was told by Rotel that it is safe down to 2 ohms for short periods. I think it will easily handle the Dynaudios,but I agree with Phil that you should contact Rotel for confirmation. Unless the 1080 is inferior to mine I think you are OK. Let us know what you discover.

Brent.

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
Paul, my speakers are Tannoy Saturn's which have a 4 ohm impedance, although are more senstive than your Dyn's. I'm using a Rotel 3 channel power amp (RB-993) which has a similar circuit topology to the RB-991 which is the predecessor to the 1080 (although not much has changed judging by internal pics!). All three amps are 200 wpc. The 993 has no problem running the Saturn's for hours of music and HT, and indeed Rotel's can run 4 ohm impedances quite easily (many ppl use it to drive Magneplanar's which are a notoriously difficult load). FYI, I use the Denon 2801 as a pre/pro, but am going to move to a separate 2 channel pre/cd player since I feel the Denon doens't do such as great job in 2 channel.
Cheers,
Mike
Edit: Forgot to add, you've made a great choice on the amp! :)

Paul Chalk

Stunt Coordinator
I never got an email back from Rotel but I did download the manual from Rotel's site. Speakers used on this amp need to have a minimum nominal impedance of 4 ohms. I guess Dynaudios will work fine on the Rotel. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks