What's new

Will a Progressive Scan player make a difference on my non-HD Wega? (1 Viewer)

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
I have had a 36FS13 Wega for about 2 months now and have become interested in getting another DVD player. My Pioneer DV-414 is quite old and has a lot of problems. Does it make any sense for me to go with a Progressive player?? My set isn't HD ready, but I'm not sure if progressive scan players are for HD sets only. In any case, which player would you guys recommend for under $500??
Thank You.
------------------
PJ

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Perry, it is my understanding that Progressive scan players will not work on a non Progressive display (ie, your TV). Unless the player you get has the ability to switch between Progressive and Interlaced output, theres no sense in buying that model.
I believe your model Pioneer is still a good player, so I would stick with it, unless you just have the upgrade bug and want something with more bells and whistles. In that case, go with a newer non-Progressive output player.

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Thank you for the reply Mike. About the progressive scan abilities...that is pretty much what I thought. I wanted to verify this for my own sanity. As for my DVD player, I do not have any problems with picture or sound quality. However, the player has compatibility issues. I have the lip synching issue, and the player will not play a decent list of titles including one of my favorites, "Contact."
Thank You.
------------------
PJ

JasonRH

Second Unit
You should be able to get an interlaced signal from a progressive player. The signal should still go through but your tv will only display it in interlaced form.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, there's nothing wrong with getting a progressive-scan player now--think of it from an "upgradability" standpoint. Plan for the future. And the Sony 700, at only $349 msrp, is winning quite a few kudos. Like all prog-scan players, you can switch it for interlaced output. And the picture should be an improvement on that aging 414.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Jack- Would I be able to see an improvement in picture over my Pioneer DV-525 which I got for $199.99 at Best Buy?
------------------
- Brian
My DVD Collection
Want Sliders on DVD? Then please SIGN the petition!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks