Will a power conditioner help this problem with my receiver?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Almon, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Almon

Almon Auditioning

Ive searched the forum but couldnt seem to find someone with a similar problem with a solution.

description of problem:
    When i have my receiver on, and i turn on the lights in the bathroom which is next to my room; the receiver goes silent for about .5 second. This happens also when i turn the lights off in the bathroom.

Will a power conditioner, surge protector, or power block remedy this solution?

I am looking to spend around 50 dollars.

Almon

Onkyo HT-R510
    Wharfdale Modus one six (front)
    Wharfdale WH-2 bipolar (rears)

2. Almon

Almon Auditioning

Anyone have any advice??

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

If you have a light plugged into that outlet, does it dim also when you play with the bathroom switch? Also, are the two outlets on the same circuit?

4. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

Since no one else has offered an opinion I'll offer an indistinct response. It depends on the source of the interruption.

If you have a severe voltage sag , shutting down the anmp momentarily , then you have a serious AC supply problem and nothing might help. A power line conditioner would best help alleviate the symptoms. (not a $50 item)

If a Dolby or DTS decoder is cutting off then it could be noise on the line and filters would be the solution of choice. This could be tested by using analog inputs and seeing if it happens then. The trick would be putting the filtering on the right component , it's not necessarily the amp.