1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Will a new DVD solve my problem? Please help.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Michael Steven, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Michael Steven

Michael Steven Auditioning

To everyone:

Hello. I am new to this forum, and discovered it on a different home video forum. I have an issue that I've posted elsewhere and hope that many of you here can help me as well.

While not new to electronics (I've been into audio equipment all my life), I am new to home video and am learning more everyday. I'm hoping someone can help me with my dilemma.

For ten years, I watched movies on a 20-inch Zenith TV, first using a JVC VCR and then a Toshiba DVD player. I recently upgraded to a 27-inch Panasonic flat screen TV. I was considering moving all the way up to HD but will probably wait because 1) I don't have the space right now for a TV much larger than 27 inches; 2) I might move in a year or so and don't want to lug around an HD TV; and 3) I want to wait until prices drop.

When playing DVDs on the flat-screen TV, the picture is generally sharp with good color. I was using my old Toshiba SD-2800 with Monster component cables. However, I noticed not only some artifacts and difficulty with 16:9 films, but the scan lines are really visible. I sit roughly about 6-7 feet from the TV (I was once told that ideal distance is roughly 5 times the height of the screen). I thought I would try a different DVD player, so I went out and picked up a Sony DVP-NS325 -- cheap and low-end, but I only have an analog TV. Still, a generally decent (but not great) picture and visible scan lines. I messed with the settings on the TV and in both DVD players but wasn't entirely satisfied with the picture.

Here are my questions:

1) Given that I am using an analog TV, would upgrading to a better DVD player make a difference in the quality of the interlaced picture and in the reduction of scan lines? Or will there be little (or no) difference? I'd be willing to spend up to $300 on a DVD player if there will be a visible difference. I am giving some thought, for example, to the Denon 1600 or a similar quality DVD player -- but will only do so if members here think it's worth it.

2) IF a better DVD player will make a difference in overall picture quality, are there specific things I should look for? For example, does the power of the D/A converter matter? Are there things I should avoid?

3) The other option I have is getting a better TV as well. I can still return the Panasonic, and am considering the Sony KV-27FV310, which is their top-of-the-line analog TV in that size. Would that improve things, or would scan lines and artifacts still be visible? (The Sony does have a 16:9 enhanced mode.)

I can certainly live with a less-than-perfect video image ... especially because I know I will upgrade to HD in the future. I do realize that a good progressive scan hookup would solve some of my problems, but I've decided that will have to wait. For now, it would be nice to find the best solution possible for a decent analog experience.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks.

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

No, a new DVD player won't help reduce the scan line issue, thats the nature of using a larger analog TV. Your only solution is a digital TV, then you can take advantage of progressive scan which will reduce the visible scan lines. You can get a Samsung 27" HDTV for around $699 also Sears has a new Samsung 26" widescreen HDTV set on sale for that price too. You need to get away from an analog set unless you use a smaller screen like your old 20" - analog just isn't good at larger sizes unless your a lot farther away from the screen.

3. david stark

david stark Second Unit

Is there any chance oyu could borrow a friends DVD player or get a home demo? I used to have a 28" widescreen tv (Loewe Cantus) and used it with a very early and cheap DVD player and had no problems with scan lines. I probably sat about 7 to 10 feet back from the set, the piuc quality was poor when looked at up close (like 1 foot), but from my viewing distance then it was fine.

I have since upgraded to a 30" HD widescreen tv and a better prog scan tv and the picture quality has improved.

I've also seen quite a few films at friends who had a 30" sony widescreen and a 38" JVC widescreen and again with a cheaper DVD player and had no problems with scan lines.

All this was in Europe and connecting the dvd player to the tv using an RGB scart in all cases.

4. Michael Steven

I checked out my father's setup -- he's got a 36-inch JVC analog hooked up to a JVC DVD player, and I noticed the scan lines on his setup too ... but they weren't as prominent. I'm also planning to hook up a couple more DVD players this weekend just to satisfy my curiosity. It could be the TV itself ... that's why I am considering a standard TV that has a 16:9 compression mode. The scan lines might still be there, but at least the picture on anamorphic DVDs will be better.

But Don_Berg brings up a good point about switching to a relatively inexpensive HD set, such as the Samsung sets. I thought about doing just that, but I'm wary about the overall quality of those types of TVs. Having a progressive component signal would be great, but would an inexpensive Samsung HD give me more headaches than it's worth, or are they relatively reliable?

I am doing research on this forum and across the internet to pursue the option of a cheap HD TV ... not sure if I will go that route, but it's worth considering.

5. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

The Samsung HDTV sets have been reported to be quite reliable, of course the more expensive Sony and Toshibas are a little higher quality, but are only in bigger sizes and 2-3x the price! But I would say a $699 Samsung HD set is a better buy than the top of the line Sony analog set.

6. Michael Steven

Based on what everyone has said here (and over at AVS Forum), I will go out and take a look at the Samsung HD sets ... at least to consider if I'd want one of them. It won't hurt to check them out ... and if I like them, I just might take one home with me.

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I have a 30”, 16:9 Samsung and so far it has been very reliable and has quite a good picture. It is not quite so good as my Sony XBR800, and has fewer features, but it cost $1,000 less.

I would say that the line-doubler (deinterlacer) is not so good as the Sony’s, but with a progressive scan DVD player that is not so important. Also the NTSC tuner is not as good as the Sony (a non-issue for me, as I use a DirecTV receiver in any case.

Finally the Samsung has only one S-Video input (located on the side).

Otherwise this is a fine set at that price and has quite a good picture.

8. Michael Steven

Lew -- thanks for the info about the Samsung. I am actually going to swing by my local Sears after work tonight and see how their sets look.

I'd certainly love to have an XBR like you have. I've seen the new 34-inch XBR several times and was blown away ... my local Good Guys had it on display receiving a direct HD signal (not one of those shared signals that degrades the PQ). Stunning to say the least. It's also received a lot of praise for a couple of home theater mags.

But the pocketbook can't support it at this moment ... will therefore look at less expensive alternatives.