Will a multiplex still show a low grossing movie 10 weeks after release?Clockstoppers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Johnny G, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

I'm going to Florida at the end of May & really wanna see this movie, Clockstoppers, it comes out in the UK in August, check out the TRAILER .
    My question is will it still be showing so long after release, it comes out in March?

2. Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G Second Unit

It all depends. The first (and most obvious) variable is how much money it makes. More money equals more time it gets a screen. The second is how other films are doing at the time, and how many are slated to come out. If Clockstoppers is doing marginal business, and a giant blockbuster or two come out, then it'll get shoved out pretty quick to make room. However, if there isn't much product out then it could hang around for a while.
    This being said, I think an average amount of time for a movie to stay in the theaters is about a month. After that, if you find it, it's showtimes may be severly limited. Again, it totally depends on the movie.
    One word of warning: I think Star Wars Episode 2 comes out in May. The multiplex will probably be clearing out a fair amount of prints to devote a lot of screens to it.

3. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Where in Florida? If it's anywhere near Orlando (Disney) than you might have some luck at the second run theater. There an okay one in Winter Park with 11 screens that shows movies for $2.00 second run - which means they get it a few months after the first run theaters get it. I have a friend from Germany who comes over three times a year and he catches up on the movies he's missed at this place, then catches all the new ones he wants to see.

4. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

Thanks guys

Chad,

I am going to Orlando, can you find what's showing at this cinema on line?

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Go to Yahoo Movies:
    http://movies.yahoo.com/
    and scroll down until you find the "Showtimes" box in the middle of the screen, then enter the appropriate zip code (for Orlando, or wherever). Rounds up all the theaters in the area and provides showtimes for many (if available). Seems to have most of the showtimes for theaters in larger cities.

6. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

IMDB also has a showtimes feature (not sure if it uses the same search engine or not).
    The best thing will be to research the Orlando area a lot to find out where the 2nd run, or dollar theaters, are at as they are sometimes called. The timing is tricky for you because they usually leave the main theater and then have a couple of weeks before hitting the 2nd runs.
    So you might be rooting for an early pull or a very long run, but nothing "average". Good luck, you never can tell.
    Oh, one other option. Indianapolis has "Bar" theaters where people can eat, drink, and smoke. I think families can still attend some of these but I'm not certain. These are somewhere between first run and second run and might be yet another option. [​IMG]
    Finally, I would say look into whatever the local Orlando paper is and find an online site for them. That will probably be another good source for where to see a film.

7. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    They're called Silver Cinemas I think. I'm not sure if they have a web site, they might though. But, if you're staying near Disney you'll be able to get a hold of the local paper The Orlando Sentinel and find showtimes. Most hotels leave complimentary copies of the paper at your door.

Also, to whet you appetite, if you're here in late May the Pleasure Island theaters will have Episode II in digital projection...