What's new

Will a line doubler help my Sony TV? (1 Viewer)

Kincade

Second Unit
Hello all, I'm hoping someone here can advise me... I bought a sony television about a year ago - KP53HS30 - and it's been great to me. During DVD's the picture is as nice as I could want. However, i've been wondering if I can improve the picture during DirecTV watching, and VHS watching...

Would a line doubler like the DVDO Iscan Pro help me, or is the chip in the Sony already as good as this? I haven't been able to find out much about the innards of this TV.

Thanks in advance!

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

It's like getting 35% on an exam rather than 30%. Better than 30% but you know what ... you still failed and the image still looks crappy.

Regards

Kincade

Second Unit
So it's probably not worth the $500...

Would an ISF calibration make it look THAT much better? I do my settings w/ Avia - but i've always wondered how much difference the ISF calibration would make.

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Depending on the type of calibration service you take, you might see a big difference or maybe not. It also depends heavily on the state of the TV out of the box.

A full calibration will optimize your convergence and focus. It will even out the colour shift from left to right ... it will give you a more accurate grayscale / hence colour rendition.

Regards

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

SRP for a standard ISF calibration is $275. (Essentially the cost for renting analyzing equipment and a guy with the expertise to use it on your tV.)

More elaborate calibration services that include the physical work like focus ... tend to start at about $400 and go up from there depending on what you want done to the TV. could be upwards of $550 to $700 by the time things are done.

Prices also vary from provider to provider.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks