Will a line doubler give me a better picture with my projector...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Holton, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Jeff Holton

Jeff Holton Stunt Coordinator

I've always been a little itimidated by talk of resolution, progressive scan, line doublers, etc... everything to do with the quality of a video image.

I'm wondering wether or not it would make sense for me to get a line doubler. My DVD player has progressive scan, and some of my video games have progressive scan... I have a fairly inexpensive projector, and I assume that it is not taking advantage of these progressive scan signals being sent to it. Would a line doubler give me better resolution and take advantage of the progressive scan, or is it possible that my projector has a "maximum" resolution, and there is nothing I can do to improve the image quality?

This might not be a very easy question to answer with a simple written response... but any input/advice would be appreciated.

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Jeff,

A line doubler will provide the same signal as a progressive scan device. You said in your post that your projector is not taking advantage of the progressive signals- which means it would be unable to to deal with signal from a line doubler.

Again- the line doubler simply turns a interlaced signal into a progressive signal-- so your DVD and Video game machines are already doing that.

Make sure you have your devices connected correctly and their progressive abilities are enabled!

If you'd like, post you projector model, and I'm sure someone could tell you what is the best resolution and scan rate it can sync to...

-V

3. Jeff Holton

Jeff Holton Stunt Coordinator

OK, that makes sense. So the only thing I can really "enhance" is the video signal itself... and if my DVD player and video game systems are already outputting a progressive scan signal, then I can't really make it any better than that?

So it is just a matter of wether or not my projector can take advantage of a progressive scan signal.

My projector is a Sanyo Multimedia Sanyo PLC-SW10.

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Well, according to specs on the Projector Central site, this projector has a native res of 800x600, which means that this is likely the best resolution to feed the projector. This could only be done using a scaler or a HTPC device.

Your projector does support up to 1024x768 input (but will scale it back down to the native 800x600), and according to the info, it can sync to HDTV signals... although again it would scale them down to the native 800x600 panel.

This same projector was also sold as the Eiki LC-SM1, the
    Boxlight SP-5t, and the Canon LV-5100. By checking the specs on those, they show that it can sync to HD resolutions like 1080i and 720p (and will scale it down for the panel). These other versions also show support for input resolutions up to 1280x1024 (again, internal scaling will resample the image back down to the panel's 800x600).

-Vince

-V

5. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Properly done progressive scan is even better than a line doubler because you're eliminating one of the Analog->Digital->Analog transitions (Prog. scan doesn everything in the digital domain before sending it out on the analog wire).