Will a DVI Cable Help This Situation?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by James Edward, Mar 10, 2004.

1. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

I'm setting up a Sony 30" HD 16x9 set for someone. The HD channels look fabulous, but the non-HD channels look somewhat grainy, and almost blocky or pixelated to a small degree.

I split the cable signal, and ran one to the STB for the HD and scambled channels, and the other directly to the antenna input. This improved the picture somewhat, but it still leaves something to be desired.

Both the TV and STB have DVI connections. Would the DVI cable make an improvement in this situation for the non-HD channels? Or is it possible that Cablevision is really compressing the heck out of the regular channels to provide the bandwidth necessary for it's HD lineup?

I just don't want to spend close to a hundred dollars unless there is a reasonable chance of an improvement.

Thanks for any input.

2. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

OK- I'll bump this and ask another question:

Has anyone exposed to both cable and satellite sources found PQ to be significantly better on satellite?

This is the second time I've been surprised at how poorly the Cablevision of LI signal looked on non-HD stations versus DirecTV(not that DirecTV is that great either...) Both were on 16x9 HDTV's. Perhaps the conversion process from 4x3 sources is the culprit?

Any thoughts appreciated...

3. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

I've used both cable (Cox) and satellite (Voom). I've found Voom's SD stuff to be much better than Cox's.

DVI cabling should make a small improvement in your picture, but don't expect miracles. This being said, a short DVI cable is about $20, and probably worth the cost.