What's new

Will a dvd recorder with component inputs offer improvement? (1 Viewer)

Mick Wright

Second Unit
I'm thinking about picking up the Samsung dvd-vr325 when it streets because it offers component inputs. However it will take some juggling of my connections to do this, so I was wondering if the hassle will be worth it for SD broadcasts. Anyone know if component will offer any improvement over s-video.

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
Unless I've missed something in the Crutchfield listing, it looks like the DVD-vr325 only has component output, not input. It's hard to be certain without a picture of the back panel, however. Samsung doesn't have that unit listed yet that I can find, nor did OneCall or J&R, so it looks like all we've got to go on for now is Crutchfield's listing.

Also, I agree with Jeremy that unless the source is component video native it probably won't make enough difference to worry about. Of course any digital transmission technology is going to be component video, as it compresses much better that way. That includes ATSC (OTA DTV and HDTV), digital satellite, digital cable, DVHS, DVD, etc. So unless you're recording from analog TV (OTA or cable) or VHS component input might be an improvement. On the other handle the compression that the DVD recorder will do is quite likely to wipe out that improvement in large part.

-- Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks