Will a Denon 682 have enough power to run Paradigm speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by james e m, Feb 24, 2002.

1. james e m

james e m Second Unit

I'm looking for a new cheap receiver to power 2 Paradigm Monitor 11's, 2 Mini Monitors and 1 CC-370 without doing any damage to them. I want a receiver that I can use until I can afford a 7.1 receiver. Any advice is appreciated!

james

2. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    no, not for the Monitor 11's. i guess they'd run, but i would feel much safer with an external 2-channel amp! i think you'd be fine with the CC and Mini-Monitors though. just use a separate 2-channel amp with ~100 wpc (from a good manufacturer like Parasound, Marantz, or Rotel) for the 11's and run the rest thru the receiver.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

the 11's have a sensitivity in the low 90's while the mini's are in the upper 80's (i assume those are your rears for the moment). any modestly 50 wpc receiver will easily drive the speakers to adequate volumes provided your room is not cavernous. define your price point, the features you'd like to have (decoding, inputs and their number, etc), warranty, do you want to buy locally or internet, etc. there are many choices if your budget is low. by way of example, and this is not a recommendation, just a for instance, a sherwood rvd5090r (50wpc)can be had for approx $160 while a JVC RX7010VBK (100wpc) can be had for around $275. there are many other choices but you need to sit down and define what it is that you need in the way of capability in order to start weeding out the garden. by no stretch of the imagination is an external amplifier required to drive your speakers unless for some reason it is a preference of yours.