Will a Denon 2200's DAC's equal or better my SCD-C555ES player for Redbook playback ?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chip E, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I'm looking consolidate some gear. I have a S9000ES DVD/SACD player thats been recently retired due to it exibiting some erros. I now have my Panasonic RP91 in my rack. I also have a SCD-C555ES multichannel SACD/CD player in the rack.
    Question is: Will the Denon 2200 be as good or, better via analog 2 channel connection to my Ref50 as my 555ES CD changer? If the answer is yes, it'll allow me to sell a couple pieces and consolidate. I don't know much about different DAC's. My best guess would be the 555ES would outgun the Denon 2200 for 2 channel analog out. I know i love the sound of it now, and don't hear much difference vs. going digital out and letting the Ref50 handle it. I use the 555's DAC's. I'd like to have one player do superior video, great Redbook, DVD-A & SACD. Thanks.

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I don't think so. The 555es is kind of legendary for its performance, regardless of price. [​IMG]

3. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Yeah Kev... i was kinda thinking the same thing. Maybe i should just leave the triple 5 right where it is, get rid of the 9K & RP91, buy the 2200 and call it a day..

4. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

FWIW, I did compare a 2900 (w 120 hrs break-in) to my 555ES in my system. Although the 2900 produced a very resolved sound (for all formats), I thought it lacked sufficient cohesiveness (i.e., putting the notes together in a "smooth" fashion). As such, I would give the nod to the 555ES, assuming that the 2900 had sufficient break-in. I would assume that the resolution of the 2200 DACs is not quite at the level of the 2900, but I don't know if the cohesiveness issue I experienced would have been duplicated with the 2200. Not surprisingly, I never saw another 2900 review that shared my experience. YMMV

I would expect a modded 2900 (and possibly a 2200) to be an audio knockout, though. Of course, price will soar.

BTW, I would think that practically any DVD-A player that asserts "respectable" audio would be better at DVD-A than the RP-91, based on personal experience. I imagine the 2200 would trounce it.

Doug

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I have the 2200 and a 222ES, and the 222's DACs are better.

6. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Doug, John,

thankyou both for your valuable input. You guy's gave me exactly the input i was looking for.

7. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Denon has a "warmer" sound compared to the Sony's more "analitic",it's your preference which you would choose.
    I guess you were looking for a "validation" after all.

8. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Lewis, right but, it isn't even a level field. The 555ES is sortof legendary.

9. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

To some maybe.

10. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

If i really wanted to go warmer i'd just go digital out to my Ref50. Used to have a 5803.. I'm familiar with Denon and higher end Sony CD players. I'd hardly call the triple 5 analitical. For the most part i dislike Sony gear with the exception of my CD player. Thanks for your input Lewis.