What's new

Will a Denon 2200's DAC's equal or better my SCD-C555ES player for Redbook playback ? (1 Viewer)

Chip E

Screenwriter
I'm looking consolidate some gear. I have a S9000ES DVD/SACD player thats been recently retired due to it exibiting some erros. I now have my Panasonic RP91 in my rack. I also have a SCD-C555ES multichannel SACD/CD player in the rack.
Question is: Will the Denon 2200 be as good or, better via analog 2 channel connection to my Ref50 as my 555ES CD changer? If the answer is yes, it'll allow me to sell a couple pieces and consolidate. I don't know much about different DAC's. My best guess would be the 555ES would outgun the Denon 2200 for 2 channel analog out. I know i love the sound of it now, and don't hear much difference vs. going digital out and letting the Ref50 handle it. I use the 555's DAC's. I'd like to have one player do superior video, great Redbook, DVD-A & SACD. Thanks.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Yeah Kev... i was kinda thinking the same thing. Maybe i should just leave the triple 5 right where it is, get rid of the 9K & RP91, buy the 2200 and call it a day..

Doug_B

Screenwriter
FWIW, I did compare a 2900 (w 120 hrs break-in) to my 555ES in my system. Although the 2900 produced a very resolved sound (for all formats), I thought it lacked sufficient cohesiveness (i.e., putting the notes together in a "smooth" fashion). As such, I would give the nod to the 555ES, assuming that the 2900 had sufficient break-in. I would assume that the resolution of the 2200 DACs is not quite at the level of the 2900, but I don't know if the cohesiveness issue I experienced would have been duplicated with the 2200. Not surprisingly, I never saw another 2900 review that shared my experience. YMMV

I would expect a modded 2900 (and possibly a 2200) to be an audio knockout, though. Of course, price will soar.

BTW, I would think that practically any DVD-A player that asserts "respectable" audio would be better at DVD-A than the RP-91, based on personal experience. I imagine the 2200 would trounce it.

Doug

Chip E

Screenwriter
Doug, John,

thankyou both for your valuable input. You guy's gave me exactly the input i was looking for.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Denon has a "warmer" sound compared to the Sony's more "analitic",it's your preference which you would choose.
I guess you were looking for a "validation" after all.

Chip E

Screenwriter
If i really wanted to go warmer i'd just go digital out to my Ref50. Used to have a 5803.. I'm familiar with Denon and higher end Sony CD players. I'd hardly call the triple 5 analitical. For the most part i dislike Sony gear with the exception of my CD player. Thanks for your input Lewis.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks