Will a Denon 1804 sound much better than my Kenwood?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ken.L, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Ken.L

Ken.L Stunt Coordinator

I got an entry level Kenwood HTiB 206 two months ago and have upgraded all the speakers to some much more decent ones and the set up sounds pretty good to my ears, but then again I haven't sat down and really listen to anything else so I don't have anything to compare to. If I replace the receiver with a Denon 1804, can someone please describe what improvement in the sound quality will I hear. Will I hear clearer highs, less muddy bass, etc,? Usage is 80% music, 20% movies.
    I'm trying to figure out if the improvements will be worth spending the extra money for.
    As a point of reference the whole Kenwood system with speakers cost a total of $217 and the Denon 1804 around $370.

2. ernie.bin

ernie.bin Stunt Coordinator

I've got an old kenwood vr-405 that I used one night with my studio20s. They sounded really lifeless compared to my denon 1802.

Best if you can try it yourself, but I found the denon to be a big step up from the entry level kenwoods

3. Ken.L

Ken.L Stunt Coordinator

Ernie,
    Could you please try to describe how exactly the Denon will be a step up. I mean, the Kenwood sounds fine right now. If I spend an additional $370 for the Denon, what kind of improvement will I hear?

4. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Denon has a lot less distortion.

5. craig_curtis

craig_curtis Stunt Coordinator

Craig
    it also has a much richer sound. I had a kenwood (can't remember the model number - just a few years old though with DD and DTS - 100 wattp/c- i think i paid $250 for it, maybe $300). Anyway, it had an issue when I would try to watch movies, the sound would just cut out. So i replaced it with the Denon 1803. Couldn't be happier. The denon has more "body" than the Kenwood did, even at a similar price point. I think its a smart move. Unless they changed the specs the 80W p/c on the denon isn't as much as the Kenwood, so its best to have more efficient speakers, and heavier guage cable (those HTIB often have very thin cable).

6. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

I had a Kenwood krfv5050d, not sure what US model matches it, it was 100 Wpc,1Khz, 6ohms. I wasn't happy with it and replaced it with a Denon 1802 about a year ago..

Well, to be honest, in the beginning I thought I had a lot of improvement in low to mid volume music sound, but after some time I started to understand that the improvement was very subtle, if there was any... Maybe a bit punchier bass that's all.

If you ask me if I am happy with my decision though, definitely yes. The reason is, I never had piece of mind with the Kenwood, especially with movies. I was watching movies with the remote in hand for turning the volume down as fast as possibble during a scene of an explosion, etc. Similarly, I was never able to enjoy music at high volumes because of the Kenwood's lack of power.

My $0.02..

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Other than a better reserve of power, the Denon won't "sound" any particular way. But the higher power will translate into more authoritative sonic peaks and better transient response. Other than that, it won't have any "sound" to speak of.

8. craig_curtis

craig_curtis Stunt Coordinator

Craig
    i dunno.. i disagree. My denon had a different sound than my kenwood did. The "sound" of the denon is the reason I bought it instead of a Yamaha, which I had also auditioned. Maybe it is just clarity, but I do feel that it has a "richer" sound than the kenwood (or the yamaha for that matter)

9. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I used to run the VR-507 that came with the Kenwood 504 HTiB. I use the Denon 1804 now and have found it to be a nice upgrade over the 507. I think I had the Kenwood hooked up to my past B&Ws but I'm not sure? Anyway I noticed things were much more clear, detailed, clean and precise with the Denon. The denon is a little more forward than the Kenwood. A definite upgrade imo. Have you thought about the 1403 or the 1603? If 5.1 is what you plan on staying with they might be worth considering??

I just picked up a brand new 1403 for a friend here on the Forum for $130. Long story but nice buy. I hooked it up to my RF-5 Towers and C-7 reference Klipsch and it did a wonderful job. These speakers are very easy to drive I admit.

10. Ken.L

Ken.L Stunt Coordinator

I want to thank everyone for your inputs. I'm now a proud and happy owner of a Denon 1803 as of last Saturday. It was a four month old unit and my wallet only got lighten by 265 smackers. I got into this HT thing just two months ago when I bought the Kenwood, so I'm very new at trying to trying to identify all the nuances of the sound quality. One major reason for my original question was so that I could justify to my wife why I'm spending an additional three times more money than the two bills spent on the Kenwood system which sounded pretty good already. She's definitely not into hearing music with a critical ear as we are.
    Well, the first thing I notice was the Denon is able to plays much louder than the Kenwood which was rated 20 watts higher, so much for those paper watts, lol. As for the other sound quality improvements, I'm just going to have to take all you seasoned sound connoisseur's word for it. Maybe in time I'll be able to identify each aspect with any degree of certainty. But I'm definitely hearing a better sound coming out of the speakers!
    One weakness of the Denon is the FM tuner is inferior to the Kenwood's which is more sensitive.

11. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

I think this a comment that many on this forum would disaree with. I can personally say in my yearas of upgrading that Yamaha, Denon, and Marantz all exhibit a different sound.

Kevin