Will a Dayton Tiny Mighty II sub work for my room size?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by tonyKwok, Mar 24, 2005.

1. tonyKwok

tonyKwok Stunt Coordinator

hello

I'm thinking of getting the Dayton 10" sub for my HT setup. I will be running it with a Denon AVR-1905. I have 2 old school Sansui towers for the front, a center channel, and 2 AR bookshelf surrounds. My living room dimension is 19'-9" x 21' x 8' high. Will I need something bigger than the Dayton for a room this size? The room also has an double-door opening to my study room and a single doorway opening to my kitchen. My HT usage is 50/50 (movies/games). I've read a lot of good reviews on this board for the Dayton as budget sub that delivers. I'm trying to keep my budget under $200.

thanks for any suggestions
    tony

2. Leigh_M

Leigh_M Stunt Coordinator

I have that sub. For it size and price it works well. However, your room is quite large and the dayton may not be able to give the movie effects you would like. I would also take a look at the Acoustech sub. It's a 12" sub and has got some good reviews. I've seen it new on ebay for $199 + $40 for shipping. This will push your buget but may provide a better movie experience.

3. David Bikeman

David Bikeman Stunt Coordinator

"I have that sub. For it size and price it works well."

Same here. My HT is 23x13 with a large opening to the dining room. Placement is key. My sub works very well in one spot. I've tested it in multiple locations and none of them were acceptable. I've also added a BFD and it made a world of difference. Total cost of the Dayton with a BFD would be about $250. shipped. Someday soon I'll move up to a Hsu or SVS but I'm pleased with the Dayton for now. [​IMG]

David

4. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

I have the Tiny Mighty, and couldn't be happier, I moved up from a HTIB 8" cheappie that I poly fill modded. My room is @ 21'X 17' X 9' and it rumbles very well. During AVP, my wife said, "THAT'S REALLY LOUD!!!" ('course she always says that...hmmmmmmmmm, I wonder....)
    Incredibles kicks major SPL but. and LOTR-TTT, "battle of the hornbug" scene is amazing.

5. Jeremy_R

Jeremy_R Stunt Coordinator

I have one in a very open 14' x 28' x 8' room. It works very well for me since it is directly behind my couch. It shakes the couch very nicely and has a really tight and clean sound to it.

Consider buying one or two of them ...

6. tonyKwok

pardon my ignorance, but what is a BFD?

7. David Bikeman

8. aldamon

aldamon Second Unit

I had the Tiny Mighty I in a 20 x 15 x 8 room and while it rumbled well, it really didn't pack much of a punch. It was corner loaded and ~13 feet from the seating position. Since your room is even bigger than mine, I think the TMII would only be servicable at best. Of course, getting a servicable sub for $129 is not bad really.

9. David Bikeman

13 feet is a long way for the Dayton. Mine is less than half that and it does make a very noticeable difference. I originally had it 10 feet from the listening position (corner loaded).

David

10. tonyKwok

my listening position would only be about 10' - 11' from the corner where I would place the sub. Can I get away w/ a 10" dayton in that case even though my room size is kind of big?

tony

11. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Hi Tony,

In reading this Thread I was going to recommend the Tiny if you had a Near-Field sub placement location, but 11' away in your size room is allot to ask of the 1 Tiny, even as Mighty as it is for the $$. If you could swing 2, I would think that would give you the added headroom you require to get you moving along. PE would most likely give you a little $$break on dual??

12. Max F

Max F Second Unit

Mine is around 10-12 ft away and works fine for me. I don't listen to reference volumes though. I really want to build a 15inch sub, just have to convince my wife. [​IMG] The Tiny Mighty is a great sub for the price. If you don't have the budget for >$300, then get it.