Will a car sub amp work instead of a plate amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn.G, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

I am looking to build a sub and looking to save some money. Instead of buying a plate amp, is it ok to go with a car amp? I have a sub preout on my receiver, so will the car amp be able to hook up to it?

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I would sell your car amp and by a plate amp from partsexpress.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    You won’t save any money using a car amp, because you will have to buy a heavy-duty power supply to juice it. Check the fuse on the amp to see how much of a power supply you would need; typically a 100-watt amp would need a 30-amp power supply, 200-watt, a 60-amp, etc. Any less, the amp will not deliver its full power rating.

Not to mention, most power supplies put out some really dirty DC, so typically they induce a lot of noise. So, you need a really clean, high-amperage power supply - $$$.

This question might be better suited for one of the car audio forums. They always to have some bright fellow who will claim he successfully circumvented the laws of electrical physics.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Scott Falkler

Scott Falkler Second Unit

What kind/model of car amp is it?
    I may trade you my PE 250W plate amp for it...

5. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

I worded that wrong, I don't have a car amp. But now that I am looking for a plate amp, Scott, would you sell the PE amp?