What's new

Will a car sub amp work instead of a plate amp? (1 Viewer)

Shawn.G

Second Unit
I am looking to build a sub and looking to save some money. Instead of buying a plate amp, is it ok to go with a car amp? I have a sub preout on my receiver, so will the car amp be able to hook up to it?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You won’t save any money using a car amp, because you will have to buy a heavy-duty power supply to juice it. Check the fuse on the amp to see how much of a power supply you would need; typically a 100-watt amp would need a 30-amp power supply, 200-watt, a 60-amp, etc. Any less, the amp will not deliver its full power rating.

Not to mention, most power supplies put out some really dirty DC, so typically they induce a lot of noise. So, you need a really clean, high-amperage power supply - $$$.

This question might be better suited for one of the car audio forums. They always to have some bright fellow who will claim he successfully circumvented the laws of electrical physics.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Shawn.G

Second Unit
I worded that wrong, I don't have a car amp. But now that I am looking for a plate amp, Scott, would you sell the PE amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks