What's new

Will a better DVD player make much difference on a standard tv? (1 Viewer)

George Braun

Auditioning
I'm shopping for my first dvd player and I've been reading the posts on here for a few weeks (first post!). I think I've narrowed it down to either the Sony DVP-NS315/B or the Panasonic RP-82 (as it is highly recommended here), but any other suggestions would be welcome.

I just bought a standard JVC 27" TV (with 3 line digital comb filter and component inputs) in the $300 range to replace my Zenith 19" tv that is 19 years old, so I'm not on the leading edge as far as technology goes, and I don't expect to get an HDTV for a long time.

As well as watching dvd movies, I'll also be watching sci-fi tv shows on dvd such as star trek, stargate, etc. that are video based, so I will be viewing a fair amount of video dvds with space ships on a field of stars.

I only need an interlaced dvd player for my set up, and if I have understood the posts correctly, the chroma bug effects progressive scan dvd players, but a few posts have also mentioned a flicker bug in the less expensive Panasonic dvd players that concerns me watching video based dvds. I'm wondering if I would see much difference on my very basic system between a name brand dvd player in the $100-130 range and a higher level progressive dvd player in the $170-230 range. There is about a $100 price difference between the models I listed, and I'd just as soon save the money if I wouldn't gain anything by going to a more expensive dvd player.

I also haven't found much info on the Sony NS-315. If the consensus is to go with the cheaper player, does anyone have any comments on this model or could they recommend another one?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The chroma bug affects both interlaced and progressive players from most mfgs, incuding Sony and Toshiba. That being said, most people don't notice it until it's pointed out to them.

Panasonic and JVC players do not have it. The flicker bug is present on the Panny RP62 and CP67, but not the RP82 or CP72.

If your tv does not have a 16/9 mode for anamorphic dvds, and I don't think the standard JVC's do, the quality of anamorphic downconversion in the player is probably more important than chroma or flicker bugs.

BobJ

Stunt Coordinator
It depends on the player, but there can be a difference on a regular TV with a player using higher quality components.

For example, my friends and I were interested in this same question so we did a blind comparison on an older interlaced set using both component and composite cables. There were noticeable differences in picture quality. Ranked from high to low we looked at:

Panasonic RP-82
Panasonic RP-62
Pansonic RP-32/Pioneer DV-440 (virtual tie)
Daewoo DVD-5800

The RP-82 with its higher quality mpeg decoder was head and shoulders above the rest of the players in terms of picture quality. It had a much smoother picture, especially on poorly done discs.

The Daewoo had very poor picture quality compared with the rest of the group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks