will a b&k 307 sound almost as good as stereo separates?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andre*C, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Andre*C

Andre*C Agent

I am going to buy some good stereo separates and a mediocre receiver or a b&k 307. Will I here a big difference in cd play back? It would be so much easier to just get the b&k but I really want cd's to sound really good. What should I do?

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Big difference? Probably not although I'm sure an audio salesperson would love to steer you in that direction from the point of sales commission. Mind you I'm not taking a stand against separates!
    Sounds to me like you're ready to drop some serious change. The B&K lists in the mid 3,000's. If I may ask, what're you presently running in the way of speakers and amplication? What is it that you want to improve?
    My own personal philosophy is that speakers and the way they interact with the room play the LARGEST roles.

3. Matt Sweadner

Matt Sweadner Auditioning

I was seriously considering a 307 but found a Mac 206 amp[​IMG] I just couldn't pass on. The 307 got rave reviews everywhere I looked.
    If space is a concern then it may be better to pass on seperates.
    If price is no object, look around for the new McIntosh MHT100 receiver. It is very nice with eight channels of power for dual zone coverage. You can find it on-line for about $4100.00. I never had the opportunity to compare the 2 side by side though.
    Check out this forums classifieds as there is a guy (Joe Hays @ 763/757-6860) who has a slightly used 307 which you should be able to pick up for under 2K with about 4.5years of warranty left. If not for the Mac amp, I was going to buy his B&K.
    Good luck

4. Andre*C

Andre*C Agent

To answer your question about my gear, I have some 10 year old ESS speakers that I am replacing this month with vienna acoustics mozart (front) and maestro (center). I have a toshiba SD 9200 dvd/cd player and I just sold my yamaha rxv-795 to try to raise some dough for the b&k or separates. I didn't get much though seeing theres no resale values in outdated receivers. So you don't think there is much difference between seperates and the b&k receiver. thats good to know since it would be a pain getting sepetates and a dedicated receiver for movies. I know speakers and placement make a huge sound difference but isn't it important to have a really good receiver? If not I will just get a denon for $700.

5. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Martice's points are well taken and provide a cost effective alternative to an all-in-one solution. Whether its for you, is up to you to decide. Presently you've got new speakers coming in. Why don't you play with those for a while and see how things shake out? This is just me, but I like to take things slowly.

7. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

I agree. Make time your friend in these matters and all will work out.

Hi Chu. Good to hear from you again. I'm off to Union Square to hang out for a while.

Enjoy your day.

Until next time..

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Gonna segue over to Katz on Houston for a pasrtami sandwich? Good day for hanging out.
    You've got nice speakers coming in and I'd suspect you'll find them very enjoyable. Work a little on finding good resting spots for those babies and enjoy the sounds [​IMG]

9. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

The B&K is an excellent sounding receiver, and does a very respectable job of 2 channel, probably better than you might expect. I had a 202, which sonically is extremely similar to a 307 with a bit less power, and I have since replaced it with a few different separates, finally ending up with a Classe CAV150 amp and a Sunfire processor. This $7000 combo does sound better than the B&K, but made me realize that the B&K actually sounded pretty good (I have B&W Nautilus 804/805/HTM2). The bottom line, the B&K will sound better than inexpensive to mid range separates, but don't expect it to sound as good as more expensive separates. The B&K is a combination of the Ref 30 (excellent pre-amp), and a mediocre amp. Think of it as a $2500-$3000 pro combined with a $1000 7 channel amp, and that's the preformance that you get.

10. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

11. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

I think that for the money, you can get a really nice receiver for about $800.00 and spend about $1,500 to about $2,000 on a variety of 'quality' 2-channel amps and have a wonderful 2/5/7 channel hybrid system that will play movies wonderfully and at the same time make you proud when it comes to 2-channel reproduction. There are many on this forum who will tell you that a receiver as a preamp is not as good as a dedicated pre/pro when it comes to playing music and I would think that the same holds true for a dedicated 2-channel preamp should outperform most pre/pro's in 2-channel performance.
    A few things to keep in mind about the 307;
    first, it is one of the very few rcvrs on the market with a toroidal transformer which (along with it's quality of amp design) will give it most of what many inexpensive "seperate" amps deliver....
    second, it is one of even fewer (actually ,I think maybe only 2 current pieces) rcvrs that employ a "non-current-limiting" design, which also seperates it from it's Japanese rcvr competition and puts it more into a "seperates" class of equipment.
    third, while I am one of the few who seems to articulate this point, it seems important to remember that the overwhekming majority of rcvrs use very low quality components in their pre-out sections, B&K builds this section identically to the pre-out section of their REF 30, so if you do decide to swap-ouy/upgrade amps later on ,then you still have a GREAT pre-amp.
    fourth, If you ever decide to sell the B&K later, you'll find it easier to sell a rcvr than a pre-pro...
    fifth, many people keep gravitating towards the LOWEST PRICE pre-pro and telling themselves and everyone else that it is better than the somewhat more expensive ones...let your ears decide!

12. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

13. Duke

Duke Stunt Coordinator

The B&K also has an Analog pass thru so you can use either the DAC's in your CD/DVD player or use the digital connection and use the B&K DAC's.
    Nice to have a choice.