What's new

will a b&k 307 receiver sound as good as seperates for two channel (1 Viewer)

Andre*C

Agent
I am seriously thinking about getting the B&K 307 receiver because of it's reputation for sound quality. I am very into two channel music and do not want to sacrifice any sound quality by getting a receiver. If a separate two channel amp and pre amp will sound significantly better I will go that rout and just get a denon receiver or something. Which rout is better?

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
It all depends on the separates you are talking about. The 307 is an excellent receiver, but there will be a new model probably later this year incorporating new modes such as PL II etc. as the new Motorola DSP units are being released. The 307 has excellent sound in two channel, and in my opinion that is very much to do with the fact that it incorporates the Ref 30 processor innards, but the amplifier part is only good by separates standards, and not excellent. Higher quality separates will definitely sound better, mid-pack separates will probably sound as good, and lesser priced separates may not sound as good. For example, I found the combination of an Adcom 830 processor and Adcom 7400 amp (a $2200 combo) to not sound as good as a B&K 202 receiver (the 307 predecessor). In any case, if you want to stay in the same price range as the 307 (about $3500), and wish to buy new, at this time I would recommend considering getting the Rotel 1066 processor, and a Parasound 2205 or Rotel 1095 amp, and I think that you will end up very happy. If you are willing to spend a little more, the possiblities are quite extensive, as there are many good processors in the $3000 range, and several good amps in the $2000-$4000 range. There is always also the used market...

As for the second part of your question, I personally believe that it is possible to get very good 2 channel performance from your HT system, and that your money is better off spent in a good processor and amp combo that does both.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks