Will a 480p TV work with a 525p DVD player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Mirza, May 13, 2001.

1. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

I was testing out a JVC progressive scan DVD player with a Samsung "enhanced definition" (480p) flat screen monitor today at Best Buy.
    I couldn't get any picture when the DVD player was set to output progressively (525p), but I did when I set it to interlaced output (525i).
    My question: did I do something wrong with the setup at the store? Does a progressive DVD player work with a 480p TV?
    Help! I really like this TV and hope it will work with the DVD player.

2. Alvin Lau

Alvin Lau Agent

I could be wrong, but I think certain Samsung 480p displays do line doubling to upconvert 480i sources to 480p, but don't/can't actually accept an incoming 480p signal...

3. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Patrick:
    Are you certain that the player was hooked up to the TV so that progressive could be displayed? If the player was hooked up using only the set's composite or svideo input, it could not have displayed a progressive signal.
    ------------------

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Hint: As far as the labels in back of the TV or DVD player go, 525p is the same as 480p. 525i is the same as 480i. Just a different name.
    Coming out of the player, the video is 525p or 525i in terms of the number of scan lines. On the DVD or over the air as a DTV signal, scan lines 481-525 are not included and are inserted by the player or tuner, so it is 480p (or 480i). Actually most DVDs have only enough material for 480i although if it is a 24 fps film source, it can be made into true 480p.
    Sometimes the TV requires a switch or menu or service menu setting to accept 480p through its component video jacks. Sometimes there is a separate set of component jacks for 480p input.
    540p is approximately the same as 1080i and interchanging works 99.% of the time.
    More: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

5. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

I believe Alvin is correct on this -
    Allot of those Samsung's display an upconverted 480i - 480p image, but cannot accept a 480p signal - It has to be 480i (525i). The internal doubler upconverts it to 480p.
    I know that was the case with the Tantus line...
    -Ryan Dinan
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

6. Les Kanekuni

Les Kanekuni Auditioning

Patrick:

My Samsung tv (SLK407W) only accepts interlaced signals from its inputs except for the DTV input which is 480p.All the other signals are converted to progressive with the internal line doubler. If you don't have a DTV input, then you're probably out of luck with your dvd player. If you can switch to interlaced output, you will probably get a picture, of course that defeats the purpose of the progressive dvd player.