What's new

Will a 15" Tempest be too big for my room? (1 Viewer)

tom_furman

Stunt Coordinator
I plan on getting a new house in a couple years so it won't always be in this room.

Approx dimensions: 15'x13'

If i'm gonna build a sub i wanna do it right - the first time.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Tom,

There's no such thing as "too big". If you calibrate correctly it will blend with the rest of your system fine.

Brian

Chris_Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I had one in my college apartment living room, which was probably about 35' by 14' with a vaulted ceiling of about 12'. You get the idea, big room. It sounded just fine in this room in it's 260 L ported enclosure and powered by a Mackie 1400i. When I graduated and moved into my current apt, with living room dimensions of about 18' by 13' (with an attached dining room of about 9' by 7') it sounds like a bit much. However, you can always turn it down for the time being, and when you get your new place just let it rip. Hope this helps

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
It could only be considered too big in the indirect sense that it requires a larger enclosure which takes up more of the space in a small room. Sound wise, there is no such thing as a driver being too large for a room.

(oops, BB beat me to it)

tom_furman

Stunt Coordinator
Good..I got my amp and driver all selected..now it's just a matter of the sonotube size. As you can see, in a room my size, a 24" diamater tube takes up alot of space, so I was hoping to get away with an 18" tube. Will that give me enough room to mount the driver and have legs for the stand?

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I have about the same size room (1br apt) and I got a tempest sonotube. I too wanted it to be as small as possible with excellent results. I used an 18" tube and it works great. I chose to use Dan's 0.577 Q design. You may want to look into this design as it is great for size limited rooms. It's tuned to 17.5hz so it still goes low like the EBS but doesn't take up 10-12^3ft.

It's a very simple formula and several people here have built this design with good success.
175L, 64oz stuffed, 0.577 Q, 17.5Hz
tuned(13"L 4"D flared vent).

A

Anthony_Gomez

My room is 12X18 and I have a pair of sealed BPD1503s and they are not "too big". Just you your extra headroom and electronically EQ it flat even lower=)

tom_furman

Stunt Coordinator
Ok guys...I need ONE more favor before I can leave you alone for a while.
I d/l the Adire software and after giving me trouble loading it finally worked. I sat here at work and read the manual all during lunch. I was still highly confused but tried to give it a go. BIG MISTAKE!!!
The only thing I could do right was select my driver (the Tempest) After that I was pretty much clueless. I was a history major..not a math major :D All the formulas and equations had my head spinning.
All I want to know is how tall the tube would have to be if I bottom mounted a 15" Tempest, and put the port at the top.
On a 20" and 18" tube so I can tell my wife what to expect. :frowning:

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I have an adire alignment tempest in a 10' x 11' foot room. Low ceiling as well.

My door is air tight and windows were treated though.

One tempest isn't enough for my room IMO. I plan on considering the new uber15 as a replacement. I do have a second adire alignment tempest I could add but I fear it will only cause more harm to my freq. response in such a small room.

Some may call 107.5db @ 20hz as too much but I'm looking for more like 120db @ 20hz.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Guys,

Tom is going for a sealed enclosure, not ported. If he'll give us the Qtc he wants it'll be easier to figure out what the finished height will be.

Brian

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Wait a minute! I think I'm getting Tom confused with Stephen, who wants a sealed enclosure. Nevermind! :frowning:
Brian

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
What's going on Brian, did a sexy moose finds its way from up here down to Loganville :p)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Brian,
I was just going to ask how you knew he wanted a sealed design???:D
:) :angry: :D :thumbsdown: :emoji_thumbsup: :star: :frowning: :b ;)
sorry, just felt like clicking on the cool pictures just then.:D

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Dustin,
Yeah, you caught me! Actually, at that time I was in my office in Dunwoody (some 40 miles from Loganville). We're in the process of moving to the Midtown area of Atlanta and the whole place is pure chaos. I get to go in for 2 hours tomorrow and then they're kicking us out of the building so the movers can do there thing. So I'm going out to the shop and make myself dizzy with my router and Jasper Jig. I'm working on the first of 3 pairs of GR Research Alpha LS's!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks