will a 12 inch powered subwoofer have more bass than a 6 inch subwoofer

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by kirtis_mcleskey, Dec 25, 2003.

1. kirtis_mcleskey

kirtis_mcleskey Stunt Coordinator

???

my guess is , yes , but im wanting to make sure

2. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

A 6" driver sounds small, however it depends on the sub.There are lots of great 8" subs I'm sure would outperform a cheap 12" sub. A good sub should be tight with little distortion and go below 40hz. The lower it can go without collapsing in sound the better.

3. Nathan J

Nathan J Stunt Coordinator

More than likely the 12" will put out more bass than the 6".

How much bass depends on two things, the cone area of the driver, and how far the woofer can move (xmax). Seeing as though the 12" would more than double the 6" in cone area, It is safe to say that it would be louder. Besides, there are not many 6" subs that have more cone travel than a 12".

They are out there, but not very common.

Stick with the 12".

4. kirtis_mcleskey

ok thanks guys, ive really enjoyed these forums since i joined last week,

thanks again

reason i was askign is cause my 6 inch sub distorts pretty bad I was wanting to upgrade to a 12 inch sub

5. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Yes, if the quality of the speakers are the same and the only difference is size, the 6" will have less bass than the 12".

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Don't go by driver size, go by specs. Just because it has a 12" driver, does not mean it is a good sub. What is the price range?

7. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Dont go by specs go by listening to it. LOL.

8. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

If you tell us your budget it would be easier to give you suggestions from there.

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You can tell by the specs if it is worth going to listen to. OF COURSE you have to listen to it...[​IMG]

10. kirtis_mcleskey

thanks, well I know that noone here likes cerwin vega, but I have gotten my cerwin vega 12 inch sub 3 way tower and I hooked it up to my center speaker and it sounds awesome ,s o im thinkign about going and getting their 12 inch 300w att sub, and trying it out , If I dont like it < i will send it back to them

11. Nathan J

Nathan J Stunt Coordinator

Well, everyone has to start somewhere, but I think if you let people know about how much you were looking to spend,
    I think you would end up with a lot better sub than the CV.

I know everyone says to buy what your ears tell you to buy,
    but I have the feeling that maybe you have not had the chance to audition that many types of speakers or subs just yet.

Give us an idea of how much you want to spend, that way we can help you decide on a sub that would best fit your application.

Nate

12. kirtis_mcleskey

well here is the sub that I was looking at to buy
    My aunt has cerwin vega tower speakers and I love the sound that comes from them , one of these three

http://www.audioallies.com/GetBrandS...fers&Sub=12%22

and if i didnt like the sound I was just going to take it back, see if i buy somethign on the net, I wont be able to send it back if I dont like it, cause shipping will be too high ,

but tell me your thoughts

13. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Quote:
    if i didnt like the sound I was just going to take it back Where are you going to buy a sub near Paragould? If you can make it over to Memphis, there will be a lot better selection. Your profile lists your occupation as carpenter. You have the tools or at least access to them, so build a sub. There are a lot of proven designs that will blow away those CV subs for just a few dollars more.

-Robert

14. kirtis_mcleskey

lol im not that good of a carpenter though , llol only 2 yeras, I work with my dad to help get me along while im in college, is there a better sub for the price range of the cerwin vega

15. Jeff W.

Jeff W. Stunt Coordinator

$218 is a pretty good price for a 12" sub. I don't think you'll find much selection at that price. But you could look at a Velodyne, if they have something in that price range, although it will probably be a 10" or 8" sub. I have a Cambridge Soundworks 8" sub (BassCube8) and it's a great sub for the size/price. I see the BassCube10S is $249. They have a 45-day in-home trial period, if you don't like it, you can send it back.

Anyway in general a 12" woofer is going to play louder and a lot lower than a 6"... 6" can hardly be considered a subwoofer IMO.

A 12" speaker has FOUR times the surface area of a 6", not 2 times. (Area of a circle = Pi (3.1415) X the Radius squared.

6" = Pi X 3^2 = ~28 sq.in.
    12" = Pi X 6^2 = ~113 sq.in.

16. kirtis_mcleskey

17. Jeff W.

Jeff W. Stunt Coordinator

It just depends, on your room, how loud you play it, and personal taste. Only way to see is do an in-home audition. So just make sure you buy it from a place with a 30-day no-question return policy.

18. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

If you're looking at the LW-12, I remember reading many favorable reviews on www.audioreview.com about this sub. I actually almost purchased one myself but decided to build one myself. And when I built it, I had never used any type of electrical saw in my life, so you could definitely build a sub!

19. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter